Help: where to buy GM style electrical connectors

experts:

1994 Olds 88, 3800 (L27) V6 engine.

In order to test the signals going from the cam and crankshaft sensors, I want to build a breakout box to go between the ignition control module (male end) and its 18 pin connector (female).

The question is: where can I get the 18 pin male and female connectors that GM uses, without going to the local dealer?

TIA snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

Bobo

There is a place on the net called waytek wire which sells some of the connectors, I don't know about the 18 pin ones though. Search for merti-pak and weather-pak on google or another search engine, those are the official names of the connectors.

Reply to
Eugene

Thanks for the lead.

I was in error: the Ingition Control Module has a 14 pin connector and it is in fact the cause of my problems.

The female pins in the connector hood have become so sloppy tha they do not make good contact with the male pins in the Control Module. (hmmmmmm)

I picked up a used connector from a junk yard and experimented with it. There must be a tool that looks like a thin flat blade that can be used to extract the female pins from the hood. The pins and wire can then be pushed through the hood and repaired by bending the tang that makes contact with the male pin.

What a pin in the butt. You would think that GM would provide a repair kit. But no. They want $1450 for a new wiring harness.

Bill

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

i got my tool for doing this job at the local Case IH dealer...they have a tool for it, you push it in where the female connections are, the tool releases two "tangs" and then you pull on the wire, works real slick....not sure if you have a local farm dealer or not where you live, but that is what i would try....

Reply to
WHO??
1994 Olds 88, 3800 (L27) V6 engine

Well, while I was waiting to get a response, I designed a homemade "female pin fixer".

That cleared up problem codes P0342 and P0361.

Now I have to find what is causing P0341 and P0321.

You wouldn't happen to know where the "8 way ignition jummper harness connector" is located under the hood would you?

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

slick....not

Reply to
Bobo

Bobo,

Engineer? How'd ya guess.

Good idea on the flattned paper clip. Where were you with that idea when I needed it this morning :)

There is one side benefit to having the drilled holes: if I pull off the ICM connector again, I can quickly reset the tangs for another tight connection. The pin holes should been put there by GM in the first place.

The codes are current. If I clear them, and start the car and run a continuous scan and monitor the codes, '18X Interrupts Lost' comes first, then 'Intermittent Cam Signal' along with the MIL lamp, within a minute after start. M341CNTR just keeps ticking up.

I am going to ohm out everything tomorrow.

PS: what is a T-pin and backprobe? Do you mean pick off a signal at the outer access points of the red, white, and blue ECM connectors while they are still connected to the ECM?

Bill the engineer

you should see the breakout box I made yesterday to pick off the signals at the ICM connector. You would really be laughing. It looks like a mad octopus.

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Bobo

Tried a new crank position sensor last night. No go, same codes. I don't have a "O" scope but will have one by tomorrow. I have one more diag flow chart to follow: spark reference circuit.

Th>Gotta tell ya,m I was smiling the whole time I was reading this... Sorry I

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

Subject has changed. See: Help: GM 3800 engine ignition experts