Help: 94 Olds OBD-I question

my 94 Olds has a OBD-I ECM but a OBD-II 16 pin connector. My check engine lamp is lit and the car has a miss throughout the rpm range.

I also have an 86 Astro with the 12 pin connector. I can jumper two pins (the "A" and the "M" pins) in the connector and get the check engine lamp to blink out any trouble codes.

Can I do this on the 94 Olds by jumpering pins 05 and 09?

TIA snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

No. YOur car has OBD-1 1/2. You will need to hook a OBD-1 serial reader to pin 12 (M).

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=A0Paul=A0?=

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

I have an Auto Xray unit - the blue plug works on the "OBD1.5" There is no way, short of a code reader, to get the codes out of that computer. My '94 Trans Sport has a 12 pin connector, and you can't read it with a shorting pin either.

Reply to
clare

Screwed by GM again. I wanted to stay away from buying a car made before 1996 for this very reason. My OBD-II scanner (actually a Palm) works great on 1996 and newer cars. But the 94 Olds was in near perfect condition (except for this missing problem) so I bought it.

Thanks for the resp>>

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

You need a computer that will read GM OBD-1 like the Actron CP-9110 with a CP-9111 cartridge. The trick is to get the 16-pin cable to use with the cartridge. (CP-9115), otherwise you are stuck with a 12-pin cable (ALDL).

Check

Taz

Any OBD-1 serial reader will work. Check ebay, etc. Some obdii readers also have obdi capability. You may have to make your own connector though.

-=--

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=A0Paul=A0?=

Paul, are you sure that pin 12 is serial data and not pin 9. My reference guide shows the following diagram.

Bill wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

You are correct. I was wrong. I was for some odd reason thinking obdi.5 whilst visualizing obdi. Here is another link (jpg) which shows a similar aldl hookup:

=?x-user-defined?Q?=A0Paul=A0?=