4x4 power Question

I have an 89 with a plow on it. I loose all the power steering assist when stopped. I think the box is tired, I have installed a new pump. Are there any suggestions other than the obvious? Thanks in advance, Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I would think the p/s pump it's self could be working too hard.

I have heard of installing a cooler for the power steering system to help with this. Basically you run the return line through a cooler (like a tranny cooler).

Of course, now that you have this problem, a cooler might not help. It sounds like your pump is just plain worn out.

Reply to
Clem

Reply to
Bobo

My '90 has a power steering cooler on it. It is nothing more than a few loops of tubing attached to the bottom of the cross-member under the radiator. But, I agree, you may have fried your pump.

Reply to
Rich B

Reply to
Jerry

I would think the p/s pump it's self could be working too hard.

I have heard of installing a cooler for the power steering system to help with this. Basically you run the return line through a cooler (like a tranny cooler).

Of course, now that you have this problem, a cooler might not help. It sounds like your pump is just plain worn out.

Reply to
Bobo

I had the problem so I replaced the pump a few months ago, cheapest and

tensioner is fine. New belt too.

the time. >Ran fine yesterday, plowed fine, not a problem. I love these types of problems.

With a plow on there, a little extra air in the front tires wouldn't hurt. Just don't go over the max pressure on the sidewall. Also, narrow tires will turn easier than wide tires.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower