How GM cars nowadays?

I owned many GM cars before and was frustrated about their reliability? I have been driving Japanese cars for the last 7 years. Now, I see there are some nice looking and sound improved GM cars outthere. I just wonder that, are GM cars reliable today since I am interested in buying my next vehicle and hope that it would be American cars. I currently have my eyes on either GMC Acadia or Saturn Outlook Cross SUV. Any suggesion?

Reply to
Hayden

Are you looking for an unbiased opinion in a GM newsgroup?

If I were insure, I think I would rent a simular car for a few days before I bought.

YMMV

Reply to
Jonas Grumby

That's the perfect spelling error. "insure" and "simular" - all the right letters, just in the wrong places.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thank you...

Reply to
Jonas Grumby

Good work deserves credit.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

indeed you are the man...

Reply to
Jonas Grumby

Now, I have been a GM owner for years, and like you have become frustrated with GM quality and customer care.

I bought a new car this year, and it was NOT a GM.

Still, I am told that quality and dependability have improved a great deal. Whether GMs arrogant attitude has improved is yet to be defined.

Drive the cars you may be interested in. Talk to other owners if you can. I view buying GM products as,still, a bit of a gamble. But they are relatively inexpensive, and you might be very happy.

There is no simple answer to your question.

Reply to
<HLS

Sure there is. The guy was not looking to buy a used car. What was on the market in prior years is not what is on the market today. Look at what brand buyers today are choosing to spend their hard earned money, from all of the numerous brands available on the market TODAY. The fact is GM sells more vehicles to American buyers than any other brand, period.

Obviously more buyers must like what GM is doing today and believe their vehicle, for the price they paid. was the best among all others or they would not be buying what they bought today.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

For what it's worth....we were shopping for a replacement for our minivan last year, right around this time. We decided on a Pontiac Vibe (same car as the Toyota Matrix under the skin). The salesman told us that while he recommended an extended warranty, on this particular model we could most likely "get away without it". He would not recommend gambling on the "real" Pontiacs.

What does that tell you?

Incidentally, the Vibe has not needed *any* warranty work since we bought it. My 02 Impala was in the shop for bad brake rotors, a cracked battery, and a couple broken traces in the rear window defroster in its first year.

Reply to
gad

It tells me that the salesman gets an extra commission from the extended warranties he sells.

Web Site:

David Starr

Agreed, but the point was that he admitted that we didn't need the warranty on the Toyota-based Vibe, but it is highly recommended on the pure-GM Pontiacs. Seemed significant to me that the salesman said that - basically admitted that the quality of the other Pontiacs just isn't the same as the Vibe.

Reply to
gad

That, or you happened upon the dumbest salesperson in the country.

Reply to
80 Knight

Having owned 13 trouble free Nissan's prior to my current ownership of an Impala and an Equinox, the Equinox being only a few months old, and the Impala about 1 1/2 years... other than having my rotors turned on the Impala right after purchase, I am yet to have any warranty work or repairs of any kind. I change the oil and do whatever is recommended every 5K miles, and so far, both vehicles have been trouble free. The Impala now has almost 60K trouble free miles, and the Equinox around 12K.

I, probably like you, changed from GM to a non domestic brand (Nissan) in

1984 after two bad GM experiences, and I stayed foreign (with the exception of one Jeep Grand Cherokee, which was yet another disaster story) until 2006 when I couldn't pass up an incredible deal on the Impala. Having been pleased with the comfort and reliability (I drive extensively as a sales rep) and the 5 star service my dealership offers, I traded in the last of my Nissan's, (A Murano) a few months ago for a totally loaded Equinox and I have no regrets thus far.

I believe virtually all manufacturers are producing a good or above average product today. But with GM's free power train warranty, low cost of ownership, inexpensive repairs (as compared to non domestics)... it's hard to beat.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Thanks for your comment. This is the fact that I would like hear. I guess that not only GM but to all American brand makers, we have to accept the problem then learn to improve our products in order to compete and live in a competative world market today. If we don't admit our (GM) fault, Toyota would not have been placed a top auto sale last year. I cannot support or continue buying products that will cause me more monies in the long run. I must say that my family and I bought brand new Oldsmobile Eighty Eight, Chevrolet's Corsica, Buick Le Sabre, and Chevrolet's Lumina Minivan in the past. We had very bad experience on these vehicles. That was why we no longer see these brand models in the market today. GM has changed or placed them with new names. The Japanese cars have been good to me for the last 7 years, especially the Honda that I have not yet spend a penny except oil, brake pad, filter period changes. The Nissan is ok but less reliable than Honda.

Anyway, I will go to a GM dealer this weekend and try the GM's Acadia. I have a friend who has been driving a new GM Envoy for over

2 yrs without problem so far.

In addition, an interesting blog on Motor Trend website I would like to share...

Although more American driving American cars in this country. When comparing to this category, we should compare by the ratio or percentage, not by the number. I believe that we have a higher percentage of American driving foreign cars than other countries. I hope that this ratio will be reserved soon.

Reply to
Hayden

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:25:25 -0700, Hayden rebooted the Etch-A-Sketch and scribbled:

Well, I've been looking at the Outlook/Acadia as a replacement for our VUE. (My wife wants to carpool the kids and needs more space.)

I think both are underpowered. Wait until the Buick version comes out which should be supercharged.

As for reliability - I've had no problems with American cars since the mid-90s. The crap they spewed out in the early '80s is gone.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Car and Driver also had wonderful things to say about the new GM Acadia, and this from a magazine that is frequently accused of being pro non domestics.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

I'm nearly 82 years old and have owned over seventy automobiles. I bought domestics up until the early eighties when I switched to imports. By the end of the nineties I switched back to domestic because imports were becoming way more expensive to drive home than comparable domestics, of the same size and similarly equipped.

Guess what? I only ever owned TWO that were problematic, a 1953 Chevy and a

1979 Lexus LS. The others all proved to be problem free vehicles.

Since I switched back to domestics I am saving thousands of dollar when I buy another new car and hundreds of dollar annually on the preventive maintenance, that I have performed at domestic dealerships, than I was paying a import brand dealerships

Every manufacturer is building great reliable; trouble free vehicles today. Just look at the various owner surveys, ALL manufacturers fall within the same 2%, rate of failure area. There is no reason to pay a premium price to drive home a particular brand, hoping you will not get one of their 2% that will have problems, when the odds are you will get one of the manufactures

98% that will be trouble free.

mike

Mike Hunter

Actually I've seen a lot of "bitching" about the domestics, but I think the results are flawed. The way I see it, if you could take

5000 people (give or take) give them ALL the same budget so they could buy whatever it is they wanted, but they all had to buy a range of imports/domestics, then maybe the numbers would tell a different story. But, say (for example, more based in reality) of those 5000 people, 3500 could only afford a Chevy (and an "entry" level model at that), and the others bought higher-priced imports (because they could afford it). How do you think this is going to skew the "problem" results?

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial