Ignition Switch Recall: Lock Cylinder Instead Of Key Modification ?

Hello,

Had the key modified per the recall, but still don't feel safe. Seems like a very poor, and cheap, "solution" to a potentially bad problem.

If one complains to the dealership, are they authorized to put in a new lock cylinder, at no cost, which is obviously the correct solution ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Bob

What is wrong with the key mod? There have been no failures that I'm aware of. Personally, I'd rather do that than have someone pulling apart the steering column to replace the cylinder.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What is this "key mod"? The solution I saw was not a new lock cylinder, it as a replacement detent spring and plunger to make it harder to turn the ignition switch from one position to another. Had nothing to do with the key.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The problem was weight on the switch. The key modification makes a smaller hold so it will fit on a ring, but makes it harder to hang your purse, grocery bag and laptop like some people do. The added weight of a dangling bunk of stuff caused the switch to fail.

GM says it is best to use just a single key in the ignition. Makes sense, but reality is, may people have hefty key rings.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I know that's what GM says you can do but it is not the "fix". At least it wasn't what was shown on the news as the real fix nor is it what the Chevy dealer did on my 2000 Malibu. They did not give me a new key, it was returned with the same old key but presumably with a stronger plunger. Where do you get the info that this "key hole thing" is what the official repair is when you bring a car in for a recall? Was one of your cars recalled and they gave you a new key with a smaller hole?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Plenty of hits on a Google search. The new lock has a longer plunger.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski