Ignition switch/lock cylinder.

The one on my 1983 Dodge van is worn out, it was like that when I bought the van about two years ago.Sometimes it works ok, sometimes I have to rock the key back and forth and try to get the steering wheel to unlock, sometimes it won't rock back and forth, I have to keep on fooling around with it and trying to get the steering wheel to unlock. There was a Dodge recall on some of those 1983 ignition switch/lock cylinders, something about the wafers wearing out too early.Assuming I can buy a new ignition switch/lock cylinder from wherever?, are they hard to install? The van has a tilt steering wheel, if that makes any difference? Could it be the steering wheel lock is affecting the ignition switch/lock cylinder? The ignition switch/lock cylinder on my

1978 Dodge van still works as good as new.Are those two ignition switches/lock cylinders interchangeable?, In case I can't locate a new one for my 1983 Dodge van. cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin

Our '82 Dodge van had the same problem. Do you have an original key that isn't worn out yet? The key on our van looked like a razor blade.. If you do need a lock cylinder they aren't expensive. You may need to remove the steering wheel to replace it. Just let the FLAPS know you have tilt steering.

If you have the original key tag you might be able to get an original key made.

It's Standard part # US96L for one with tilt wheel. (comes with new keys.)

Reply to
m6onz5a

Standard part #US96L.Standard is a good name brand.I don't like steering wheels that lock.If I buy a new ignition switch/lock cylinder, can I get rid of the steering wheel lock? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

That is an interesting question, one that I have never heard asked before. AFAIK, all cars have locking steering wheels now, and I would doubt that it would be easy or even legal to defeat this function, but what do I know. Hope someone with the facts answers this one.

Reply to
hls

Back around 1977, I bought a 1970 Volkswagen van.One day it got to where the steering wheel lock absolutely would not unlock.I don't remember exactly what I did to it, but I fixed that problem real good! Ever since then, I have despised all steering wheel locks, the most useless invention ever, in my opinion.I never could see any reason for steering wheel locks. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Anti theft device, and they do work. They won't stop an expert or even someone with a clue but they do stop the average idiot who wants to steal a car. I've seen the aftermath of their "work", thwarted by the steering column lock and their own stupidity.

Reply to
Brent

"hls" wrote in news:X8OdnbcXLtDmGH snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

if you pull the stearing wheel off you will find that a locking colum is just a mechanical pin set up that is easy to defeat, and perfectly legal too. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Unfortunately, the car-stealing kids use a hammer or maul to defeat it. So not only is your car stolen, but the steering column is all smashed up also.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I've found the column smashed but the lock not defeated. They are mostly idiots (which is why they use a hammer).

Reply to
Brent

It's too much crack that causes it. It's the same thing that caused someone to tear up my dashboard getting the factory AM radio out.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I dont remember exactly how it is worded, but my insurance companies have given a discount for antitheft devices or burglar alarms. I wonder if this is good enough to qualify a car for an insurance discount, and if it is disabled or removed might the insurance have a position to disallow theft claims (?)

All my newer claims of course have built in alarms and antitheft devices. This includes the steering wheel lock. Mine, however, does not have a "detent" lock. The wheel locks where you have it when the car is turned off.

Reply to
hls

eBay!

Tinyurl:

dsi1

1) the ebay ad says that lock is for vehicles WITHOUT tilt wheel 2) rockauto has the correct item for $21.92, including shipping which is cheaper than the (wrong) lock on ebay for $22.38

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # US96L [Wholesaler Closeout --

30 Day Warranty] (Only 1 Remaining) w/ Tilt Steering Wheel

Other than that...

Reply to
Mark Olson

What the heck, it was just one little word. :-)

You sold me there - cheaper is my middle name. Being the correct part is really the icing on the cake, if not the entire cake.

Thanks for the link? :-)

Reply to
dsi1