Removing ignition switch without key.

Hi,

66 mustang...Can I remove the ignition switch without the key (keys are lost) as I am having trouble. I have a new tumbler with keys and switch assembley but cant seem to twist the assembly out from behind the dash.? Avoiding drilling it out but maybe I have to.
Reply to
Brendan

You should not have to drill out anything. Have to check, but I believe it's a lot easier than that...

Reply to
Spike

Donty ou just remove bezel.? I know you have to a small pin or something in to remove the assemble and you need key for that.

Reply to
Ray or Bobbi Adams

No, the OP is correct. The bezel just holds in the ignition switch "module" to the car. The key barrel can't be removed from the ignition switch "module" without the key. They are two separate pieces that are combined.

To re-key a classic, you have to have the original key for the ignition. Not for the other locks obviously, but specifically for the ignition.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

I just went through both Chilton and Haynes manuals and essentially, it says to remove the cyl you have to insert the key, turn it, and slip a wire into the hole....

Then, to replace the switch, it says the same thing, followed by...

...then press on the rear of the switch and rotate the switch 1/8 turn counter clockwise. Remove the bezel, switch and spacer. Next, remove the nut from the back of the switch. Remove the accessory and gauge feed wires from the accessory terminal. Pull the insulated plug from the rear of the switch. Follow reverse order to install the new switch.

If you are replacing the switch and cylinder, then destruction of the old is not important. It seems I recall a large screwdriver being used. Lets see if anyone has any information on that before going with it. ANYONE?

Reply to
Spike

I thought the thieves used a slide hammer? Then they put a big screwdriver in to start the car? Fred

Reply to
Fred V.

Reply to
Spike

Reply to
kenG2

Then, to replace the switch, it says the same thing, followed by...

...then press on the rear of the switch and rotate the switch 1/8 turn counter clockwise. Remove the bezel, switch and spacer. Next, remove the nut from the back of the switch. Remove the accessory and gauge feed wires from the accessory terminal. Pull the insulated plug from the rear of the switch. Follow reverse order to install the new switch.

If you are replacing the switch and cylinder, then destruction of the old is not important. It seems I recall a large screwdriver being used. Lets see if anyone has any information on that before going with it. ANYONE?

Reply to
Mark C.

Without the key on an old car like that you can pick the lock and avoid a lot of trouble. I'm no locksmith but I've done it lots of times.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Are you a thief?

Reply to
Mark C.

Here is a possible alternative.... contact a locksmith. My dad seems to recall that they can cut a key with just enough on it to turn the cylinder, and it would only be a couple of bucks, kronor, Deutsche, Euros, lira, pesos, escudos, shillings, or whatever : 0 ) Don't even need a key for a pattern.

Reply to
Spike

Reply to
Brendan

No... no it isn't. Three twists to screw it in One - MAYBE two yanks on the slide and POW you are gone.

Provided the SOB starts right up and runs.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

On some of the older models, if the ignition is well worn you can slide the key in and out rapidly while putting forward force on the key (as in turning it on to start it) and with some blind luck you may hit just the right spot and it will turn BUT this is much more common in older GM vehicles than in Fords. In older GMs it was pretty easy much of the time.

KJK :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Hmph! Shoulda done that in the first place

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Reply to