Removing ignition switch without key.

Hi, 66 mustang...Can I remove the ignition switch without the key (keys are lost) as I am having trouble. I have a new tumbler with keys and switch
assembley but cant seem to twist the assembly out from behind the dash.? Avoiding drilling it out but maybe I have to.

You should not have to drill out anything. Have to check, but I believe it's a lot easier than that...
--
Spike
Donty ou just remove bezel.? I know you have to a small pin or something in to remove the assemble and you need key for that.

No, the OP is correct. The bezel just holds in the ignition switch "module" to the car. The key barrel can't be removed from the ignition switch "module" without the key. They are two separate pieces that are combined.
To re-key a classic, you have to have the original key for the ignition. Not for the other locks obviously, but specifically for the ignition.
--
Scott W.
'68 Ranchero 500 302

I just went through both Chilton and Haynes manuals and essentially, it says to remove the cyl you have to insert the key, turn it, and slip a wire into the hole....
Then, to replace the switch, it says the same thing, followed by...
...then press on the rear of the switch and rotate the switch 1/8 turn counter clockwise. Remove the bezel, switch and spacer. Next, remove the nut from the back of the switch. Remove the accessory and gauge feed wires from the accessory terminal. Pull the insulated plug from the rear of the switch. Follow reverse order to install the new switch.
If you are replacing the switch and cylinder, then destruction of the old is not important. It seems I recall a large screwdriver being used. Lets see if anyone has any information on that before going with it. ANYONE?
--
Spike
I thought the thieves used a slide hammer? Then they put a big screwdriver in to start the car? Fred

Easier to jerk a couple of wires.

Spike
You need the correct key and a paper clip wire to stick in the little hole while in acc..,however the theives use a slide hammer equipped with a tapered screw in the keyhole and then a screwdriver,,Seems like they had no problem everytime they attempted(and failed) to steal my mustang with the transmission lock. Ken

no
Without the key on an old car like that you can pick the lock and avoid a lot of trouble. I'm no locksmith but I've done it lots of times.
Al

Are you a thief?
--
Mark
: > You need the correct key and a paper clip wire to stick in the little hole : > while in acc..,however the theives use a slide hammer equipped with a : > tapered screw in the keyhole and then a screwdriver,,Seems like they had : no : > problem everytime they attempted(and failed) to steal my mustang with the : > transmission lock. : > Ken : : Without the key on an old car like that you can pick the lock and avoid a : lot of trouble. I'm no locksmith but I've done it lots of times. : : Al :
Then, to replace the switch, it says the same thing, followed by...
...then press on the rear of the switch and rotate the switch 1/8 turn counter clockwise. Remove the bezel, switch and spacer. Next, remove the nut from the back of the switch. Remove the accessory and gauge feed wires from the accessory terminal. Pull the insulated plug from the rear of the switch. Follow reverse order to install the new switch.
If you are replacing the switch and cylinder, then destruction of the old is not important. It seems I recall a large screwdriver being used. Lets see if anyone has any information on that before going with it. ANYONE?
--
Spike

Yes, You may end up shearing the index pin on the bezel. If that happens new

Here is a possible alternative.... contact a locksmith. My dad seems to recall that they can cut a key with just enough on it to turn the cylinder, and it would only be a couple of bucks, kronor, Deutsche, Euros, lira, pesos, escudos, shillings, or whatever : 0 ) Don't even need a key for a pattern.
--
Spike
Thanks for the info Spike and others. I will try a locksmith. Brendan
Spike wrote:

: Thanks for the info Spike and others. I will try a locksmith. : Brendan
Hmph! Shoulda done that in the first place
KJK