Is the Hummer "greener" than the Prius?

(actually energy per

technology is not

instead of believing all

See my other post. Your own numbers prove that it's nowhere near competitive to gasoline.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

(actually energy per

I agree. It's critical.

I never thought it was.

technology is not

Check out what you can actually achieve these days with NiMH and Li Ion instead of believing all the old wives tales you've been told.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

God preserve us from such a retarded USonly unit !

M= Mega, m = milli. Please don't confuse these. They're only 1000 million times different !

Modern NiMH can achieve 150Wh/kg. That's 540MJ/kg. That's perfectly adequate for unassisted commuting in a hybrid which is all that's needed.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes. For starters, a decent design engineer would use Eeprom or Flash technology to cover power outages. Or even supercaps.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

stable-mate and *the

quite fun to drive

Depends on what you consider US Maker. GM has a 1.0 liter. The problem is that many of those small engines come in TINY cars. I for one hate being stuffed in a tin foil sardine can. Of course I have also no real use for any car built anywhere. For our usage and driving the wife and I need a 4X4 with ground clearance and the ability to tow a load as needed. Do I need that ability all the time? NO. However we don't want to have a car lot either.

Reply to
Steve W.

No proof that *CO2* is the primary reason for 'global warming'.

It's a fact that CO2 is *a* greenhouse gas. As is methane and water vapour, both of which are actually far more powerful greenhouse gases.

CO2 is actually a rather minor greenhouse gas.

And the Polar Ice Caps aren't melting and raising sea-level either despite what the you may have been told.

Currently most sea-level rise is due to oceanic warming.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!

Quiz time: What does "BTU" stand for?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Freedom to be an AMERICAN IDIOT !

God bless you for your arrant stupidity.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Exactly.

That's where we are right now. 540MJ/kg didn't I say ?

Did it not click when kids started buying battery powered model aircraft ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

co2 is a greenhouse gas... baloons sent up to messure the amount in the atmosphere calculate an increase every year... C02 does not escape the atmosphere into space... the pressure of space alone would hold it in...

Reply to
GO Mavs

Yes it does. The vast majority of the energy in a tank of gasoline is simply wasted as 'waste heat'. About 3/4 is wasted in fact.

An ICE is also less efficient at cruise than it could theoretically be because of the drag from the throttle when it's not fully open. It creates air drag for the engine..

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

better > reliability)

It's a plain fact.

That some manufacturers choose these days to deliberately perhaps under design so as to limit product lifetime is a wholly different matter. That's the 'throw away society' for you.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It's already done.

Not in the USA of course.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How can you say the ice caps are not melting? If you are saying that they are not raising sea level then that may or may not be true. However, the ice caps are melting. I have seen the changes via NASA satelite photos over the last several decades...

This is what I am talking about. I never said the sea levels had risen fully. Any ice that is already in the water and does not touch the bottom would not raise the sea level. If all the ice above sea level were to melt the oceans would rise only 23 feet. That is a ton of land but not enough to kill civilization.

With that said, the ice caps are indeed melting and the fear would not berising sea levels. Once you got to that level the earths weather is what you would have to fear.

Reply to
GO Mavs

such a policy.

There's 100's of thousand of pieces of kit out there that I designed working quite happily.

And yes, incompetence is rife today. I see it all the time. Almost the norm nowadays in fact. Modern management is largely to blame for the rise of incompetent ppl IMHO.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

All of which scores horribly against an electric motor which has none of these drawbacks and boasts > 90% efficiency too.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

And the real figure for NiMH is nowhere near 1500Wh/kg anyway. By another order of magnitude

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

And yet it is less than what you get from gasoline or Diesel. Odd, that.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

And the batteries are getting there.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

instead of believing

If by "perfect" you mean "severely compromised," yes.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel