Malibu or Impala ?

Page 1 of 2
If you had a choice between buying a 3-4 year old Malibu and same age Impala, what would be your choice? Used Malibus market prices are very cheap, making them attractive. I suspect
market depreciates much these cars because of lower reliability and above average repair costs. I`d be inclined for an Impala for maybe $3000 more.
Daniel

If the Impala has a 3.8L V6, I'd take that over the Malibu.
Brad Clarke wrote:

Also if you look at safety, the malibu isn't much better than a Honda or Toyota, the Impala is rated way higher. I know the rateings don't exactly equate to real world results so I would imagine the malibu would still hold up decent (i've seen enough Honda accidents to never get in one).
Why not look at a Saturn L? They are very nice vehicles and are rated high every year in most categories. I have a 2002 Impala with the 3.4 and the LS interior package (but no ABS) and I think that it's a very good car. I chose it based on price, availability and previous experiences with Impalas but if I were looking today, I'd also look at the Saturn L.

suspect
above
more.
Impala, even if it is the 3.4L.
Is the Impala on the same body structure/pan as the Buick LeSabre?

No, actually it is on the same chassis as the Grand Prix and Century etc.
gmfan wrote:

I will take an Impala over Malibu any day.

I have a 2000 Malibu LS that I purchased at auction the summer of last year. It's been a decent enough car but given that choice I'd take the Impala too.

As an Impala owner, I would vote wholeheartedly for the Impala. I have a 2000 LS with the 3.8 and it has met or exceeded all expectations. I rented a Malibu for one day while my work car (not the Impala) was in the shop, and totally hated it. The car responded and drove fairly nicely, but not well enough. Roy

suspect

above
more.
| If you had a choice between buying a 3-4 year old Malibu and same age | Impala, what would be your choice? | Used Malibus market prices are very cheap, making them attractive. I suspect | market depreciates much these cars because of lower reliability and above | average repair costs. I`d be inclined for an Impala for maybe $3000 more. | | Daniel | |
I'd go for the Impala over the Malibu. Bigger car, and better mileage ratings with the 3.4 engine.
The mileage ratings for the Impala 3.8 are not bad, and mine has done 33mpg in highway driving. Roy

above
more.
| The mileage ratings for the Impala 3.8 are not bad, and mine has done 33mpg | in highway driving. | Roy
That is excellent for a engine that size.

I would go with neither; I would be more inclined to go with a similar year GP, or Regal, either with a 3800 engine.
Vuarra

I wouldn't. They're ugly IMHO compared to the Malibu or Impala. Between the Malibu or Impala, I'd go with a Impala, preferably the 3800 V6. It's probably no coincidence that a lot of police and fire dept.'s are buying Impalas and retiring their old rear wheel drive Crown Vics. The Impala is $10,000 less, gets way better fuel mileage, and has about the same performance as the Crown Vic.

Except when rear-ended :)
I don't know much about the Malibu. The Impala is pretty good for the most part, but has had its share of problems. One is the aluminum engine cradle which creaks. Chevy dealer by me stocks extra cradles , sends them out to a welding shop to add more welds & gussets.
GM began beefing the cradles up in later years. Also there is a steering clunk noise in the intermediate steering shaft from lack of lubrication.
If your looking at the base model I believe ABS was optional, but it is standard with the 3800 engine option. Base also has a choice of cloth bench or bucket seats. Good headroom in the car. Decent trunk space.The car gets good mileage, as other poster's have stated.
good luck
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~273,437 miles_~_~_
"> Harryface

Ok, how did you get this type of mileage :).
Mb
Markmark asked : How did you get this type of mileage?
By driving the car !
21,914 miles in 1991 23,913 miles in 1992 17,460 miles in 1993 23,501 miles in 1994 20,040 miles in 1995 11,063 miles in 1996 15,585 miles in 1997 15,382 miles in 1998 18,252 miles in 1999 23,581 miles in 2000 24,686 miles in 2001 34,000 miles in 2002 and about 26,000 miles in 2003
Note ( 1996-2000, I drove a convertible for the summer, the Bonneville would of had 50,000 more miles on it ).
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~273,777 miles_~_~_ ~_~_