Motorists vs traffic cameras

Only due to the out-of-staters. As I said, we're perfect.

Obviously I'm not serious, but there is something to driving skills being acquired at a younger age. Most people I know drove trucks, etc., before they were legally able to do so on the street. Someone driving since twelve with twenty years experience is generally a far better driver than someone who started at thirty also having twenty years experience. Younger minds learn easier and better, just like playing an instrument.

Reply to
Conscience

Joe just doesn't get that I'm IGNORING his stupid statements and he can go f f f f fade away (Talkin bout my generation.)

Sir Charles THE Curmudgeon

Reply to
CharlesTheCurmudgeon

BAAAPPPPP Wrong answer. In Arkansas, we said that some Texas drivers were missing the extra letter S that should be on their front plate's state name. We also used to say Texas had front plates so Arkansas drivers could get out of the way.

Sir Charles THE Curmudgeon

Reply to
CharlesTheCurmudgeon

It's kinda different for each vehicle, and speed and road condtions. On icy roads, I know that if I don't start stopping about half a block (at 20-25 mph) before the line, I'm not going to get stopped until I'm out in the intersection. I sort of keep a running calculation going in the back of my mind as I'm driving. Once I get to that 'point of no return', if the light turns yellow, I keep going, because I know that my vehicle will not be able to stop before the stop line even if I jam the brakes. If they short the yellow to make more tickets, to hell with them.

There was a boycott of Woodfield Mall because they had stoplight cameras. Supposedly they had a short yellow, too.

Sir Charles THE Curmudgeon

Reply to
CharlesTheCurmudgeon

The problem is not the cell phone, but the lack of common sense. It is a proven fact that they are a distraction, but used properly in some circumstances, no problem. Used by a teenager in traffic, it can be a real menace. Texting even worse. There have been people killed while doing that here in CT.

We have a loosely worded law that states "distraction" so even with a hands free, the police can issue a ticket to the morons not paying attention.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Dear Dumbass never having driven in Chicago traffic,

After you've driven in Chicago and suburban traffic for a year, then get back to me. I've been driving in Chicago and suburban traffic for the better part of 15 years now. If you jam on your brakes in any situation, you risk getting rearended because most drivers here follow too close. I often have people following me so closely I can't even see their lights, they're below my trunk lid.

I'm surprised we don't have multicar pileups near these 'red light cameras'.

Now why don't you go f f f f fade away? (Talking 'bout my generation)

Sir Charles THE Curmudgeon

Reply to
CharlesTheCurmudgeon

A good rule of thumb is that most drivers feel that anything over

0.25-0.3G is harder braking than they are comfortable with. A typical stop is actually far less than that. So barring very inclement weather conditions driver comfort is the limiting factor, not traction.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've seen stupid teenage bimbos chatting on the phone pulling out into traffic without looking, holding the cell phone and chatting while she drove to her destination, where she turned off, still chatting, because she pulled right out in front of me and because of traffic, I was pinned in behind her for 3 miles or so. I think kids ought to be sent to a cell and text free zone for at least a year. Twas bad enough when they were allowed to use calculators instead of learning how to calculate in their head.

Or force them to use radios with tubes in them. Real radios glow in the dark anyway.

Sir Charles THE Curmudgeon

Reply to
CharlesTheCurmudgeon

Driver comfort include not getting rearended by the guy following too close behind?

Sir Charles THE Curmudgeon

Reply to
CharlesTheCurmudgeon

I won't tell you what we still say about Arkies.

Reply to
Conscience

This is nothing. You want to worry about cameras? The best is yet to come.

China's All-Seeing Eye With the help of U.S. defense contractors, China is building the prototype for a high-tech police state. It is ready for export.

JoeSpareBedroom

Although I don't have any ancestors from Arkansas, I lived there 11 years. I do have ancestors from:

Mississippi Georgia South Carolina North Carolina Viriginia Maryland Pennsylvania Ohio Kentucky Indiana New York (sorry about that, nobody's perfect)

Sir Charles THE Curmudgeon

Reply to
CharlesTheCurmudgeon

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 08:03:07 -0700 (PDT), Ron Peterson cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

That's naive.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the time they busted the myth about using "clever" methods to fool hand-held radar guns? Nothing they tired worked, including covering the vehicle in tin-foil.

Reply to
80 Knight

That's not necessarily true, particular on the interstate. Indiana studied that question and found that when the speed limit was raised on the interstates the severity of accidents did not increase.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Maybe that's because there is really no need for them to signal. If someone is going past you and then changing lanes after they are 100 feet a head of you and leaving you in the dust why do you need to see their rear lights flash? It's people who are ahead but slower that need to signal because it is those people who will be interfering with the ones coming from behind.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The article states: George Dunham, a village trustee in Schaumburg, says installing the red-light camera at the mall "wasn't about the revenue -- no one will believe that, but it wasn't."

-- Ron

Reply to
Ron Peterson

Trust me, when they are weaving in between cars with only 20 ft of space there, they need to signal. Either way, it's the law. The law applies even when the roads are empty.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

No, not about hand held radar guns, "myth busters" was definitly showing you couldn't hide your licence plate from a traffic camera.

Reply to
Erness Wild

Dear sir Dumb ass, ive been driving in Chgo for 35 years, got you beat.

Reply to
ransley