New Impala

I am curious as to the reputations of the late model impalas? I am considering getting one of the 9C1 cars out there. What should I look out for? What are the common problems? Also, is the new "Displacement on Demand" system worth a crap?

Thx Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Wait until they are out a few years.

Based on Chryslers 300C experiences I'd say yes if you highway drive a lot at reasonable legal speeds. If you mainly urban drive it will gain you very little and you'll pay through the nose for high urban gas consumption as a result of too large an engine.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Likely if it is a transverse engine layout, but torque steer has been pretty well designed out of most transverse engine layouts. I'm wondering if cheap GM has done a redesign to handle the significantly increased torque. CV joint issues take lots of miles to detect.

If I could try one I'd tell you in 5 minutes if it has unacceptable torque steer. It just takes a few corners under high output to detect the steering not returning to center on it's own. Very dangerous!

My obsolete Concord's inline engine layout has negligible torque steer.

Reply to
Spam Hater

I had a '92 corsica that would reciprocate the wheel back and forth rather wildly if I took a corner under full throttle and let go of the wheel to let it go back to center. I thought it was amusing, but I don't recall being in danger. I'd just grab ahold of the wheel and/or let off the gas and all was well.

Reply to
Olaf

RE: "I thought it was amusing, but I don't recall being in danger." I agree Olaf. It's all a matter of knowing your own vehicle and how it operates and driving it accordingly.

Reply to
Cool Jet

I've had significant problems with a few high power FWD rental cars, when turning right merging into the traffic under high throttle. A few cars with terrible torque steer just wouldn't straighten out unless I let off the throttle.

Reply to
Spam Hater