Oil Change Techniques

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

Hmmm I remember the AMC Javelin, Gremlin, Marlin, Ambassador, Eagle, Talon and Classic but I can't remember one that began with an "F". Aywho, the old Rebel engine that was used in many of their cars was very rugged and you could easily impove its performance but most guys ignored them (because of the car they came in I guess).

Reply to
Rich B

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

Thats fine so long as you own a vechicle that you can do that with. Sideways mounted remote oil filters make that next to impossible. Just everyone should be sure to locate and eyeball that oil light or gage when they first start it.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Either way will get oil pressure up just fine. Letting it start will get it up faster. The difference is, there is much less load on the bearings when the starter is turning it over, as opposed to combustion turning it over. I don't know if prefilling the filter would make a measurable difference. Not likely, IMO. H

Reply to
Hairy

pedal to the floor before you start cranking (fuel injected ONLY !!)

shuts off injectors while cranking

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Of course. The oil filter on my LS1 is on the bottom. I've been having the garage change my oil and filter but I used to do all my own oild changes in the past on different vehicles. I probably will again as the weather gets warmer and my car is out of waranty. I used to have a 280ZX which had a sideways mounted filter and it was a message just taking it off!

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

Bad idea! You keep from 1-pint t 1-quat o dirty oil in the system in addition to all the oil that has not drained down into the pan. So, you start out with dirty oil already in the engine.

This is almost as bad as the toilet paper oil filters that people used back in the 1960's and 1970's. With those, they bought a special adapter and used a roll of toilet paper as the filtering medium - it didn't work well. You changed the "filter" every 3,000 miles and added a quart of clean oil. You could usually hear one of those cars coming long before it got to you because the lifters were so noisy.

I've changed oil in loads of things (heavy equipment, trucks, buses, cars, planes) and we always changed the filter with every oil change. It's not just a good idea, it's an economically sound practice (saves on costly repairs).

SUNOCO introduced graphite oil in the late '70's or early 80's - it flopped. One of the reasons was because the oil was already black when it came out of the can (the other one was that the graphite accumulated in the engine-bad idea). Add to that the psychological effect of seeing black oil in the engine al the time and you have a total loser.

But, it's your vehicle and if you want to save a few pennies now and spend major bucks later, then do it. After all, it's a free country (I'm assuming that you live in a free country and not a dictatorship like Cuba, etc.)

comon now, in Cuba they are probably forced to use a new oil filter every time, they have TONS of cars from the 50's over there still in working condition :)

Reply to
Paradox

That and the bypass on the filter must be opening up at times making the filter totally worthless.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville