Oil Drip From Centerlink Bar

91 Caddy Brougham RWD.

Back to the old school technology of automoblies here.

Problem - Oil drips.

Been noticing oil spots on the garage floor under mother's car for longer than I care to admit.

Finally poked my coconut under there last night. Can't find any oil leaking off the front of the engine, front cover seal or intake. I thought it was the horizontal shock absorber on the steering linkage but its not.

After driving it late last night I put white cardboard under it but set it on a box so it sat up closer to the under carriage.

Today it looks like the oil is dripping out of the ( 2 ) grease boots where the tierod connects to the center piviot point on the centerlink bar. No other piviot point drips.

What the heck is causing it to drip? Too much grease? The horizontal position of the grease boots? The grade of grease? I think its Castrol brand.

Never seen this happen on any of my RWD cars.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~291,900 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

A grease boot certainly can drip when it's torn and some of the grease liquifies. If you leave an old lever action grease gun lying around and come back a month later there can be a drip. But such dripping should be very minor and not really a function of miles driven. So if you are getting a regular drip, you missed something in my opinion. Are you positive it's not PS fluid or a rusted cooler line working it's way there?

Reply to
Al Bundy

Look for oil leaking from higher up. I'd bet my own money that you've got an oil leak (perhaps rocker cover gasket) running/dripping down onto the link somewhere. It takes a lot more than the usual heat to liquify suspension grease.

Reply to
Full_Name

I'll take a look at the valve cover gaskets, forgot about those..

Thanks.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~291,900 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Hey haven't those henchmen that used to stop various characters in The Simpsons "ADULT CARTOON" show from imitating a well known celebrity knocked on your door demanding you stop using the name Al Bundy yet? LOL AWE COME ON HAVE A LITTLE LAUGH, YOU KNOW IT'S THE BEST MEDICINE AND IT'S FREE OR INCLUDED WITH YOUR PAID INTERNET ACCESS ACCOUNT. Say, is it alright I send you an invoice for $0.50 USD for this little joke? LOL

Reply to
danyelita