Tracing oil leaks

The thermostat on my 1994 Rover 220 developed an intermittent fault in the summer, resulting in a couple of overheats. Since then it has started loosing some oil, which it had never done before. Seems to be only when it's running - after parking the car I find oil drips going onto the road, but they stop after a while. In fact it has taken me until now to realise that it IS my car leaving those little oil marks on the road! I have no idea where you start looking for a leak. Perhaps I should ask what part is the most likely to leak - and no I don't think it's the head gasket. (Whenever Rover is mentioned people always seem to say head gasket!) GTS

Reply to
GTS

do some basic checks first

check coolant level and consistency

Oil filler cap

dipstick in place

filter and drain plug tight ,

if all this is ok then look around the gasket lines , bell housing , sump etc

A car of that age is likely to develop small leaks

Reply to
steve robinson

In the past I've laid sheets of newspaper under the engine bay and left it over night. It's pretty clear where the drips are coming from then. But of course the oil may be running around an edge/surface before actually dripping. Also, leaking oil oil gets blown over the engine when driving, so can appear elsewhere than the point of the leak.

Pragmatically, if it's only losing tiny amounts (i.e. you're not topping up every day/week/month), is it worth tracing/repairing? But it is a nuisnace to have oil stains appear on your drive over months/years :-(

Al.

Reply to
Al

take it to a car wash , then blow off the motor . u could have a puddle on the motor . not beeing seen . and only when it gets warm and moves around . driving . let me know.

Reply to
CHRIS

it could be a oil , hose from the top and working it's way down. then as i said , putting a puddle some where on the block . hoses go bad.

Reply to
CHRIS

It's had a couple of overheats and then started leaking oil? Difficult to argue with those saying it's the head gasket.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat