Oil pressure sender switch leaking

Just replaced my oil pressure sending switch as it was leaking oil out the electrical connector. It had been leaking slowly for a while, but suddenly go to the point where there was a noticeable drip while the engine was running.

I always thought oil pressure switches were a sealed electrical pressure transducer and couldn't leak.

Funny, the oil gauge still showed good oil pressure.

1990 Olds Silhouette 3.1L engine. 105,000 miles
Reply to
Peter

They're a fairly common leak source... some are real bears to get to and replace. There is a pretty good variety of special tools for dealing with them...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Yep, they'll leak. Had a '68 Camaro with one that shot out oil like a fire hose, once. You would think they would have gotten better after almost 30 years ...!

-= Larry A.

Reply to
Larry A.

They leak when the seals fail internally. A pretty common problem.

John

Reply to
John Horner