98 5.2L Ram oil pressure

Can anyone tell me where the oil sending unit is located on a 98 Ram with a

5.2 in it? Still losing oil pressure when at idle so I'll start there. Thanks
Reply to
thinman

its on top at the back of the block near the distributor. I would put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on (you have to remove the sending unit and screw the hose for a mechanical test gauge in) and run it to verify the oil pressures. take a good look at the sending unit and make sure its not leaking up through the connector if the mechanical test checks out ok. besure you run the engine long enough to duplicate the conditions where you are seeing the drop in oil pressure.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

How the heck do I get to it???? Is there a socket to fit it or do I need to move all that crap out of the way to get a wrench in there? Wrench looks like a real tight fit!

Reply to
thinman

Here's a source of both Haynes AND Chilton's manuals. Good luck.

Can anyone tell me where the oil sending unit is located on a 98 Ram with a

Reply to
Wolfie

you will need a oil pressure sending unit socket tall enough for the sensor. I think you can get them at the local auto parts store. I bought mine through Matco.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

A friend of mine (who is a better mechanic than I will ever be) says this is a common problem with Valvoline instant oil change places. I'd try an oil change before a sending unit test. My favorite is Castrol.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

O.K. Changed the sending unit and no go. Dropped the pan and changed the pump next. The gauge didn't go to zero for 2 days, then did it 2 times on the same trip, only at idle. On the return trip and there after, didn't do anything. Ran tranny fluid through with an oil change before pump change. Haven't done mechanical gauge pressure check yet. Will sending unit be screwed into mechanical gage? Noticed I was about 1/2-3/4 quart oil low. No leaks anywhere and can't smell burning oil. Where can it be going??

Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
thinman