Oil viscosities - general recommendations?

It's been explained to me that these days the new cars are requiring a 5W30 or a 10W30, and I think some might even require a 5W20, but I don't know which cars those are. My question is, are the older guidelines for single grade oils pretty much the same: sae 30 for temperatures around 40 or above- etc.? I can't remember exactly what the temperature cut-off ranges are. I've got 5 gallons of sae 20W that I plan on using during the 2nd quarter of the year: March - June. The two vehicles that I currently have are a '93 GMC Safari Van, and an '03 Chevy S10. Also, I have a bunch of 10W40 which I guess I can use during the hottest months- at least in the van. I'm very interested in hearing all about this stuff from those of you who have the answsers. Thanks, Dale snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

TeleDale Key Service,

1811 Saratoga Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44109 U.S.A.

Reply to
TeleDale

go to

and do some reading. SAE20 isn't appropriate for ANY automotive application. Ford is the only one using a 5W20, and it's spec for the oil is a very stout synthetic package. just use what the manufacturor specs and you'll not be risking your engine.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase
5W30 or | >:|a 10W30, and I think some might even require a 5W20, but I don't know which | >:|cars those are. My question is, are the older guidelines for single grade oils | >:|pretty much the same: sae 30 for temperatures around 40 or above- etc.? I | >:|can't remember exactly what the temperature cut-off ranges are. I've got 5 | >:|gallons of sae 20W that I plan on using during the 2nd quarter of the year: | >:|March - June. The two vehicles that I currently have are a '93 GMC Safari Van, | >:|and an '03 Chevy S10. Also, I have a bunch of 10W40 which I guess I can use | >:|during the hottest months- at least in the van. | >:|I'm very interested in hearing all about this stuff from those of you who have | >:|the answsers. | >:|Thanks, Dale | >:| snipped-for-privacy@aol.com | >:| | >:| | >:|TeleDale Key Service, | >:|
| >:|1811 Saratoga Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44109 U.S.A.| | go to
and do some reading. SAE20 isn't | appropriate for ANY automotive application. Ford is the only one | using a 5W20, and it's spec for the oil is a very stout synthetic | package. just use what the manufacturor specs and you'll not be | risking your engine. | | -Bret

Chrysler and Honda also spec 5W20 for some applications. There may be others. It's not just Ford recommending 5W20 viscosity oil.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

That's correct, I read the only reason that they specify that oil weight is to make their fuel mileage numbers.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Another good site:

I would dump the 10W40. Read the sections about Viscosity Improvers. They can be really hard on your engine.

Straight 20 is probably OK. Many years ago I remember a guy, who was a district representative for an oil company, that used nothing but straight

10 weight all year. He put on a lot of hard miles. I guess I would dispose of all of it, but I am biased as I won't use anything but synthetic in my engines (including and especially air cooled mowers, snow blowers and generators).
Reply to
ABC

Thanks to all who responded. I will look at those web pages. Dale