Old delta 88 '90

My sons car won't start sometimes. He says he turns the key and nothing happens. He will wait and then it starts right up. Weird. Also ......does anyone know how hard it is to repair power windows.?? His driver side window goes up really slowly.

Reply to
tbell40 via CarKB.com

The window issues are legend with GM. A number of factors can be involved, so it is hard to give an unambiguous answer about how hard it is to fix them. The drive motors themselves are somewhat prone to being too weak for the job (as they age), the tracks they run in can be fouled or damaged, and the regulator can be worn out or damaged. You just have to get in there and see what the problem is and work it out.

I assume when your son has to wait on the car, it does not crank over...Or, is it that it does crank over but will not start?

Reply to
hls

I will have to ask him but, i think he told me that it doesn't do anything at all.

Reply to
tbell40 via CarKB.com

Get the battery checked. A bad/weak battery will cause all kinds of problems. Check the connections to the battery and the cables. Once those are verified as Good, then check the charging system/starter.

As to the windows: when the battery is checked and the window still doesn't operate properly, it can be any number of things. The up/down buttons are prone to get dirty/oxidized. Over the years they get gunked up. Replacing the assembly is the cure for that fault. Something that may help the windows slide up/down in their tracks is spraying the tracks with silicone.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt