91 GMC pickup with a 350 engine.
Last night I was driving when the "Check Gauges" light popped on.
My engine temperature gauge was pegged at the top. Yet, the engine
was running fine and did not appear to be overheated. I pulled off
the road and saw no steam or leaks, no boiling sound. I got back in
and drove away. That gauge was still pegged. All of a sudden it
dropped back to normal (about 200 deg). I drove home and had no more
problems. The gauge stayed at normal.
What the heck?
Why would this gauge peg then go back to normal? I suspect faulty
wiring to the gauge, rather than an actual overheating.
I checked the radiator after the engine cooled. It needed about a
quart, and I put more in the resivore. But that's not really all that
The outdoor temperature was around zero anyhow. The only other thing
I can think is that the thermostat was momentarly stuck, but I had
just driven 30 miles with no problems.
Anyone have any suggestiond?