Pre 1921 Stutz Bear Cat

Found an old photo album at my aunt's house today.

Grandfather had a ' Project Car " when he was 19 or 20. A bomb of a Stutz Bear Cat 2 seater. The car was right hand drive too.

One photo shows a bare chassis sitting on wooden saw horses. The caption my grandmother wrote ( before they were married ), reads: " Tony's Pride & Joy " - Hall-Scott a-la 100 horse power Aeroplane Motor in a Stutz chassis.

A four cylinder,100 HP Hall-Scott motor was used in a Boeing C7000 Seaplane around 1919.

Grandfather could build up anything.

The car body ended behind the seat, There were no rear fenders on the car and the back half of the frame was exposed. A tool box was strapped the the RH runnning board, the LH running board was missing, a headlight glass was half broken out. The car is completely covered in mud. The 2 piece windshield folded in half. A spot light was mounted on the RH side of the windshielf frame. The horn was mounted just a head of the RH door. A hand crank can also be seen under the radiator.

There were a few pictures of my grandfather & three friends driving down ( From Chicago ) to the Indianapolis 500 - May 31, 1921 .One photo shows the three of them and a 1919ish Touring Car - top down, stopped at a Texaco Service Station. Two pics were taken at Indy from the grandstands, but the race cars are blurred. One notation mentions " DePalma's car".

Finding these photo's was the best Christmas present we could of asked for.

Hope you all had a merry christmas

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,946 91 Bonneville LE 305,065
Reply to
Harry Face

Sounds great! Scan and post somewhere if you can.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul