Questions: Auto Trans 4T60E

I own a 1995 Grand Am SE, 2.3 Quad Four, 4T60E 4 speed automatic trans.

My trans went out yesterday at 144,7** miles.

I am planning on probably just grabbing one from another vehicle. Does anyone know what the last year was that a 4T60E that would FIT THIS CAR was made? I'm just hoping to find a lower mileage trans. Or if another model would slip right in? Other than that, I'm looking at a pricey rebuild which my insurance confirmed would cover the cost of in the case of an accident resulting in a total loss. (Is there any other kind of accident for this car? hehe) I do not plan to ever sell the car with hopes of getting back what I've put in. Drive it until it's dead. It's a beautiful car still, with very good interior, glossy near blemeish free paint, very well maintained. Starts every day, regardless of whether. In other words, an excellent car that just doesn't hold value that I plan to keep.

But..... 144,7** miles is a lot, with a Quad Four particularly. No head gasket symptoms yet, but I'm weary of it. I'm just wondering if fixing it would even be worth it.

So general opinions on that are welcome too!

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

By the way, what happened was that I was driving along, just before the shift to fourth (OD) third gave up, but it was so short that I merely thought something was suspicious. Upon slowing, something didn't sound right, so I pushed the gas just a little, and third was nonexistant at that point.

I was in a 25 mph zone, so I slipped it into "2" and finished my trip. (about a 1/3 mile) Reverse continues to operate fine, as well as "2". D, and 3 are history.

Trans fluid and filter have both been changed in the ballpark of every

50k miles by myself. In fact, both have just been changed about 3,000 miles ago.

It was towed to my Dad's body shop, and is currently sitting there awaiting my decision.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Well anyway, I'm not sure why no one posted, but it's been settled anyway. My Dad who owns a body shop went to a trusted source and found a (hopefully) good one to put in, and it's in the process right at this moment. I also went ahead with some new rubber bushings where needed since some of that has to come apart anyway.

Tony

T> By the way, what happened was that I was driving along, just before the

Reply to
self-imprisoned