radiator restrictor plates in 2004 vortex 4800 sierra p/u

anyone ever hear of a radiator that is supposed to have a restrictor plate not having one? It's cold outside here in Maine and my truck doesn't warm up until I get going over 50 mph uphill. the temp fluctuates so much the gauge is starting to look like a speedometer! The dealer changed the thermostat twice and now wants to replace the radiator. the service manager said he remembered reading a service bulletin about this problem. is this for real?

Reply to
geezer

When I lived up north, I used to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator in several of my vehicles. The last time I went to Oklahoma for Christmas I had to put the cardboard in so that we could have heat. 10F.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Reply to
geezer

Amazing! Thanks for the update. GM has been using some sort of o-ring for the last 15 years or so.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Hey, I knew an O'Ring. Best telephone operator on the East coast. Beautiful head of red hair and.....

Can't find an O-ring on the coast? Come on! What happened to flat gaskets? And call an aftermarket place, probably sell them 99 cents each.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Many GM's use a special slotted O-ring and a flat gasket (like my car). The O-ring holds the thermo in place. Without it, the thermo flops around quite a bit and lets water flow around it. Those not familiar with GM's (like his dealer mechanics) may not have realized it needed one.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

may not have realized it needed one.

Well said.....