Re: 01 Silverado- Rusty Rotors warrant replacment ?

When I was at Chevy yesterday talking to my buddy Big AL in the Parts,

>one of the good wrenches came up to the Parts Dept counter and wanted a >price on rear pads and rear rotors for an 01 Silverado. > >I turned and looked at the wrench and asked him, " Why the hell does an >01 need new rotors " ? He replied " There rusty, there shit, you cut >them and they rust again, I don't know what kind of metal there using, >its garbage " . > >I'll have to tell Brother this, he has an 02. > >========= >Harryface >========= > >1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE >~_~_~258,600 miles_~_~~_ > > >

Of course its going to rust. There's no type of finish on the rotors to prevent rust. It's basically a chunk of cast iron. The pads wear the rotors down a little each time you brake. How would you not prevent them from rusting? Maybe make them out of stainless steel? But that would double the weight and triple the cost. Ain't gonna happen.

Reply to
Tom

============ Stainless rotors have been used on motorcycles for decades, but I have never seen them on a car or truck.

Reply to
R. Makul K1XV

That does not make any sense at all. The wear surfaces of any rotor will develop light surface rust when they get wet but not used. The non wear surfaces will rust very quickly. In either case, it does not matter. Simply using the brakes will polish off the rust in short order.

John

Reply to
John Horner