Re: 1998 lumina service engine light

1998 Lumina 3.1 I had codes of p0401 and p0442. I found that the egr

> valve was plugged up just in front of the throttle body. I removed it > unplugged it and cleaned up everything. Now will someone please tell me > how to clear this service engine light soon, pleease. The jerks at the > parts store will read the codes and sell you the parts to fix it but they > said they are not allowed to clear it???????????? what kind of crap is > this? > Greg >

What kind of crap is this? That's a dumb statement. They are a parts store - not a repair facility. If you want to clear your codes, buy a reader so you can clear them, or take it to a garage. Or - for some codes, give it enough cycles and it will clear itself.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Shep

Id like to recommend this above post please.

Im in indiana and auto zone does it all the time. Ive never had a problem with them saying you cant. So why would a state have a beef if they cleared your codes???

I better break/fix something so I can rush down and see if they will still clear codes .

Reply to
coffee

Your most welcome. I thought it was appropriate. Funny how someone who posts a demanding post such as yours (it's all about me...) comments on the value add of another. Sorry if it didn't satisfy you.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike pointed out the facts to you. If you read what he said, it is quite helpful. Did you know that the code will clear itself, if given enough driving cycles? Did you know you can buy code readers at parts stores?

Reply to
80 Knight

Reply to
Shep

Nope. It will not report the correct number of cycles, monitors won't be latched, or adequate mileage since the reset won't be reported. Net result - failure.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Why should he buy a code reader? I's (apparently) his RIGHT to expect someone else to to pay for the reader, as well as someone else's responsibility to provide free diagnosis. Wonder if he gives away whatever it is he does for a living?

Reply to
Rob

My first inclination is to believe people like him *don't* do anything for a living.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I am in Ontario Canada, and I do not know of any place that even read's the codes for free. Most places like Canadian Tire (basically USA's AutoZone) will read them for around $90. As for clearing the codes, from what I know, they only clear the codes if you either pay them to fix the problem(s), or if you pay the $90 again. That's why I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a scanner. Not the best on the market, but between it's readings, and the information from this group, it does the job nicely.

80 Knight