Re: Do I need to replace struts?

What's the best way to test to see if you really need struts? What is the so-called bounce test at inspection?

I have a 99 malibu. Sometimes I hear a rattling sound coming from the rear of the car. Is this a sign they need replaced? I purchased the the car in 01 with about 13k miles. I only have 69k now.

Reply to
mychevycar

so-called bounce test at inspection?

There is no valid bounce test anymore. Unless shocks are so bad that they've just about fallen off the car, you would be hard pressed to get a modern car to bounce on the springs like the old bombs used to. Do you need struts? Well - do you see any leakage? Do you feel the wheels wanting to come off the road on rough surfaces? Remember the purpose of the shock is to keep the wheel in contact with the road. If so - replace them.

of the car. Is this a sign they need replaced? I purchased the the car in 01 with about 13k miles. I only have 69k now.

I would not expect shock failure at that mileage. Only some close examination back there will tell for sure though. Could be a lot of things. Could be an exhaust rattle...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I suspected strut cartridges when I noticed my wife's 98 LeSabre bouncing down the highway on uneven stretches of pavement. Her car had about 75,000 miles on it when I made the repairs.

Bouncing the front end did show it to be 'soft', but the struts were not leaking at all.

When I took the OEM's off, you could push the rod into and pull it out of the body of the cartridge with no effort at all. It was WORN OUT.

and this car was a year older than yours, and slightly higher in mileage.

Doesnt mean that yours are worn, but suggests strongly that they might be candidates for replacement.

Reply to
<HLS