Re: Quad 4--1997 water pump question

You don't need to remove the chain. You'll want to line all the cams/crank up on their marks, then compress/hold/remove the chain tensioner then remove the W-pump. GW

619 wrote:

Have 1997 Cavalier Z24: ---does timing chain have to come "out", in order to

> get water pump installed? Or, does the tensioner pulley just come out, and > if so, what precautions, regarding timing, do I have to be aware of? > The water pump I bought has a "sprocket" that goes into the timing cover and > I was wondering if its a simple "slide" into timing chain or a more > "difficult"--take the timing chain off. > > Any suggestions from someone who has done this repair would be greatly > appreciated.
Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I replaced the water pump on a 96 Z24. Had to remove the Timing chain cover, timing chain tensioner, harmonic balancer, exhaust manifold, at least one engine mount and support the engine. Had to raise/lower engine to get to some screws. There are two holes to insert pins to keep the camshafts in proper time. I had the pleasure of again adjusting the timing chain after the pump was replace but somehow I let the timing get off for one camshaft. Service Manual allows dealer 5.3 hours to change the water pump. Be prepared to work on it awhile.

Reply to
Jeff & Carol