Re: some advice for a newbie

I have a 1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass for sale. It would make a pretty stiff hot rod.

There are so many options out there it would take forever to list them all. Best thing you can do is research research research. Pick a year and look for all makes and models available for sale in that year. I personally would go pre 1973 (emissions really got crazy shortly after that) Look for pictures. Look on E-bay(.com), or autotrader.com I know that the Opel car manufacturer is owned by GM. Ford is still Ford. You MAY be able to get some compatible parts over there with research.

Now..if you are serious about getting American Muscle, find a US military base close to you. Then find a junkyard in that area and see what kind of American cars are there. Americans are allowed to import thier cars into the country as long as they do the required safety changes. Look in the newspapers there and see what the Americans are selling. The car of your dreams may already be in country. Then if you were to buy one, you would have to pay the import tax to your government. Good luck John

BTW off topic; My wife was born in Heidelburg, and she has family in Memmingen (outside Munich)

Hello, > > id just like to introduce myself quickly. My name is Simon, and im 19 > years young. Im from Germany and I work in the network/server > administration field. Ive been doing basic (brakes, suspension, rust > removal from doors, basic engine work) on my current car. I spend 2-4 > months each year in mexico and those big old american cars run there > really cheap, so i would like to get one of those big v8 powered > monsters ;). but i really have no idea which models are easy to work on, > run the longest, have the most power and that kind of things. i am > looking for something that i can upgrade easily (biggest displacement i > can get, i thought?, so i just need intake manifold and carb for the > first step :) ) and what to look out for. i really have no opinion on > ford/chevy or whatever, and i dont want to start a brand-flamewar. i > thought the best choice would be a car of the 60s/70s because they are > not that old yet so it might be easier to find one in a decent > condition. the car import laws are going to be softened soon, so maybe > it would be a good idea to get a car from california too. is it hard to > find replacement engines/transmissions? where are important rust spots > (im not planning on a show car) and are there any special tools i would > need besides normal workshop tools. i guess those cars usually come as > automatics, is there anything special i should look for? basically im > just looking for information about what models would make possible > options for me. > any advice is greatly appreciated. > > bye > > simon
Reply to
eightupman

1969 Chevelle SS 396/375 1968 Charger R/T 440 Magnum
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?py=B0ats=40texxxas=2Enet?=

Condition is everything, better to buy an excellent lesser car, than a desireable model in poor condition. Best to search upscale communities, poor people drive old cars, and skimp on repairs. Upscalers tend to garage cars, and have dealer service. 50's cars use a lot of expensive pot metal Check big American parts vendors like JEG'S or SUMMIT RACING , Get CLASSIC INDUSTRIES catalog. One overlooked car is early to mid 80's GM A - G bodies. Last of the good ones in my opinion. The motors are wimpy, but sip expensive European fuel at an affordable rate when outfitted with throttle body injection. I can't see having a Ball Buster which guzzles gas in a country that charges so much tax for fuel.

Reply to
451ctds