Re: The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga

Greetings,

Since windshields are made of layers of clear plastic and glass, once the glass breaks all integrity is lost in the entire pane. Even if by some miracle you did find some product to glue the chipped piece of glass back into place, it would now be prone to cracking and possibly even leaking. There are products that advertise that they will fix a chip, but something the size of a dime it too large for repair..

Your only real solution is to have the windshield replaced. Here in Florida the law states that your insurance company must replace your windshield if it is cracked or broken with no deductable and no change in your premium, regardless of cause.

Cheers - Jonathan

> > My son through a baseball in the car knocking the rearview > mirror off the windshield. > > Now get this... The adhesive between the baseplate and the > windshield did not fail; the glass did. > > To be accurate, 2/3 of the adhesive between the baseplate > and the windshield did fail, but 1/3 did not resulting in a > dime-size piece of windshield still attached to the baseplate. > > I assume the best adhesive to re-attach the baseplate-to- > windshield surface is still rearview mirror adhesive, but what > is the best adhesive to re-attach the glass-to-glass surface? > > Thanks! > > Joe Colella > snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com > > > > > > >
Reply to
Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thanks for the insight.