The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga

My son through a baseball in the car knocking the rearview mirror off the windshield.

Now get this... The adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did not fail; the glass did.

To be accurate, 2/3 of the adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did fail, but 1/3 did not resulting in a dime-size piece of windshield still attached to the baseplate.

I assume the best adhesive to re-attach the baseplate-to- windshield surface is still rearview mirror adhesive, but what is the best adhesive to re-attach the glass-to-glass surface?

Thanks!

Joe Colella snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Joe Colella

Joe

I work for a major windshield producer and you're right. The best thing to attach the rear view mirror is the rear view mirror adhesive. Just make sure that both surfaces are very clean. The only thing better is a tape by 3M that requires a high heat source to cure.

As far as the glass chip, you are probably out of luck. You may try one of those glass 'repair' shops that fix small chips. Your's is too large for that, but the epoxy they use might hold the glass chip in place and keep it from spreading. It will cost about $30. More than likely, it will develop a crack and spread.

Good luck,

Dave

Reply to
ironhorse

Dave, Given your expertise in this area, before I make a final decision on how to proceed with this problem, may I email you my intentions in order to get your final thoughts/suggestions? Thanks! Joe Colella snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Joe Colella

The plastic (safety) part of the safety glass is inside. You're sitting with potential of imminent failure. Replace the windshield.

Reply to
Jonny

Thanks!

Reply to
Joe Colella

Exactly. So a new windshield is really the only answer. I had mine replaced ('88 Rabbit Cabbie convertible) for $242, which included parts (new seals, new glass, etc.), labor, remounting the inside rearview mirror, and tax.

Reply to
Papa

Reply to
none2u