The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga

My son through a baseball in the car knocking the rearview mirror off the windshield.

Now get this... The adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did not fail; the glass did.

To be accurate, 2/3 of the adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did fail, but 1/3 did not resulting in a dime-size piece of windshield still attached to the baseplate.

I assume the best adhesive to re-attach the baseplate-to- windshield surface is still rearview mirror adhesive, but what is the best adhesive to re-attach the glass-to-glass surface?

Thanks!

Joe Colella snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Joe Colella

If there is no crack where it broke, get a new baseplate and attach it right next to where it was. No one will notice. You can get the baseplate at any windshield shop. You would be well off to have them install it.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Al,

A small 1-inch crack did form on the interior side of the windshield that does not penetrate to the exterior side of the windshield and runs horizontally in the sunscreen portion of the windshield, of course.

Given this, does your recommendation change at all?

Thanks, again,

Joe

Reply to
Joe Colella

Still take it to the auto glass shop and find out what they can do in your situation. They are the people who will be most knowledgeable and can tell you if you have to replace the windshield or not.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

Ron,

Shame on me for being cynical, but is their salesperson going to try to sell me a new windshield?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Colella
Reply to
mchsinews

No, I would still have a windshield place take a look. Someone said to try epoxy. I tried it one time and it broke a chunk out of the glass about a year later. The car was sitting in my driveway, came out and the mirror was in the seat.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Thanks, again!