Re: Thinking small -> david against goliath -> goliath is falling

Looks like GM is paying for screwing you guys in all the wrong places > for too long

Yep, but there is now in most places practically no alternative to having one's own car in the US. I'm trying to bicycle the 3 miles to work, but there's no practial way to do it. There's no realistically safe path. If I had a moped, I might be able to get away with that. There's no bus that runs betwixt here and there.

How far we've fallen can be witnessed at the Union Train Museum. They have one map that shows the Midwest from Ohio to Iowa criscrossed with interurban lines that existed prior to WWII. One could not own a car and go from the Ohio river to way up in Wisconsin fairly regularly. And long before there was FedEx out of Memphis, there was Railroad Express Agency, they used all of the lines, long, short and local to get stuff from Point A to Point B in a hurry. There used to be RPO's, Railway Post Offices. Took a bag of mail from Chicago or some central point and sorted/dropped mail along the rail line to the next major stop.

That's the amount of organization GM ruined. I've heard about the transport system in Britain. My sister has visited there. The only time she was in a car was when she was helping some friends go to Tesco or Asda to buy supplies for their business. And she wasn't anywhere near London. We should have a system nearly that good.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

I visit the UK every year or so and occasionally use their very fast trains. Unfortunately the trains are not used by many, so the roads are clogged. As is usually the case public transportation is only of value outside the big cities if you have lots of time and someone picks you up at the station with a car.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Hmmm . . . . My sister walked everywhere from the station . . . Twasn't very hard. What's really hard is getting a license over there, so I've heard.

Charles of Schamuburg

Reply to
n5hsr