Re: U.S. Employment: GM vs Toyota

Speaking of shop rates, try comparing the big difference in shop rates between domestics and import shops. No only do they charge more, they charge more when the same tech is working on different brands in a multi-franchised shop ;)

>> snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: >>> The only thing I wanted to know is how paying $65/hour for people to >>> mow grass has any long term benefit to both management and labor. >>> >> Where did you get this figure from? My understanding is that the job >> MIGHT be worth that much when you figure in overtime, employer taxes, >> benefits, and overhead. I don't believe they get near that in straight >> pay. > > They certainly don't, but that may be their actual cost for labor. The > fact is, Big 3 pay considerably more than the other car companies. Over > the years, the auto worker made a decent wage, good benefits, good > retirement, money during shutdowns, etc. For many years, rather than have > a costly strike, the automakers just added the cost of labor to the cost > of the car and the American public paid for it. All businesses pass of > their cost of doing business. Competition, however, paid a lot less and > sold their cars for less. > > I don't know, off hand, what the actual rates are, but just as you pay $65 > and hour for a plumber, $80 shop rates, the worker makes a lot less that > what is charged as the difference goes to overhead, taxes, etc. >
Reply to
Mike hunt

I don't blame them for charging more. After all, domestic vehicles are so poorly made that just to reassemble the cars without breaking something else requires skill.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

My local appliance dealer does the same. He charges different rates for different brands. One more thing to think about when buying that new dishwasher.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And, how do you know what the shop rates will be for a particular brand vs. another brand?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Posted in the store. I know of a computer shop that charges more to work on Compaq too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

One would suspect a difference of $30 or $40 in the shop rate among brands should certainly be one thing to be considered when one purchases a vehicle. Another is part pricing, particularly for those that say they want to run a vehicle into the ground, because they ALL will need parts before they run into the ground even for one who thinks the brad they choose may last longer.

You mention appliances. I find it strange that car buyers will expect a dealership to settle for a few hundred dollars profit on a $25,000 vehicle, yet they are willing pay a 30% profit on a major appliance, like one of the new low water use front loader washing machines, that list for around $1,200 to $1,600

Reply to
Mike hunt

Look at the whole picture. Have you ever bought a forklift truck? If you think car salesmen are cut throat, the forklift guys are just plain nuts. I had on in the office and another on the phone trying to outdo each other for a sale. That made me the winner on purchase price.

So, what does an appliance dealer make for after sale profits over the next few years? Zip. What does a car dealer make? Oil changes, that all important $900 checkup at 12k miles, etc. Getting back to the forklift deal, that one truck turned into four trucks in a few years and each one gets a quarterly maintenance and parts as needed.

As for brands, we looked at the US brand with the Mitsubishi engine and the Japanese brand built in the USA.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You apparently missed the point of that post. It was that the customer who does not want the dealership to make a decent profit will not even TRY to do the same when purchasing a major appliance, even though the appliance has a much greater mark-up. Don't you wish you could buy a forklift for the price of an F150? LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt