Re: U.S. Employment: GM vs Toyota

Speaking of shop rates, try comparing the big difference in shop rates between domestics and import shops. No only do they charge more, they
charge more when the same tech is working on different brands in a multi-franchised shop ;)

Mike hunt wrote:

I don't blame them for charging more. After all, domestic vehicles are so poorly made that just to reassemble the cars without breaking something else requires skill.
Jeff

My local appliance dealer does the same. He charges different rates for different brands. One more thing to think about when buying that new dishwasher.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

And, how do you know what the shop rates will be for a particular brand vs. another brand?
Jeff

Posted in the store. I know of a computer shop that charges more to work on Compaq too.
One would suspect a difference of $30 or $40 in the shop rate among brands should certainly be one thing to be considered when one purchases a vehicle. Another is part pricing, particularly for those that say they want to run a vehicle into the ground, because they ALL will need parts before they run into the ground even for one who thinks the brad they choose may last longer.
You mention appliances. I find it strange that car buyers will expect a dealership to settle for a few hundred dollars profit on a $25,000 vehicle, yet they are willing pay a 30% profit on a major appliance, like one of the new low water use front loader washing machines, that list for around $1,200 to $1,600

Look at the whole picture. Have you ever bought a forklift truck? If you think car salesmen are cut throat, the forklift guys are just plain nuts. I had on in the office and another on the phone trying to outdo each other for a sale. That made me the winner on purchase price.
So, what does an appliance dealer make for after sale profits over the next few years? Zip. What does a car dealer make? Oil changes, that all important $900 checkup at 12k miles, etc. Getting back to the forklift deal, that one truck turned into four trucks in a few years and each one gets a quarterly maintenance and parts as needed.
As for brands, we looked at the US brand with the Mitsubishi engine and the Japanese brand built in the USA.
You apparently missed the point of that post. It was that the customer who does not want the dealership to make a decent profit will not even TRY to do the same when purchasing a major appliance, even though the appliance has a much greater mark-up. Don't you wish you could buy a forklift for the price of an F150? LOL