Re: Warranties

I don't know if that post is factual or not but back when I was in retail I was always amazed it how many of our domestic and foreign vehicle buyers, that our F&I guys were able to convince to buy the manufactures EXTENDED warranties.

We earned an very high percentage of our profit on the sale of a new vehicles buy selling those extended warranties, even though statistically less than 2% of them ever paid out more than the cost of the extended warranty, and the buyers deductibles, after the manufactures warranty had expired. That makes since when one considers 2% falls in line with the average failure rate for ALL manufactured products.

If I could get a discount for NOT having a warranty on a new car, like I could when I was buying used cars, I would opt for no warranty on the new cars I buy.

The last time I had a warranty claim on any of my new vehicles, and I have own a lot of new vehicles, was way back in the fifties.

>> After paying back Uncle Sam the tax-based-TARP dollars GM so gladly >> grabbed to keep it from certain bankruptcy -- the payback itself also >> being your tax money -- GM has announced it's cutting back its >> powertrain warranty to two years or 25,000 miles -- to offset their >> still shaky U.S. business. > > And shakey quality. > >> By the way, have any of you ever heard about or personally known ANY >> car owner who EVER actually collected on any manufacturer's warranty? >> >> Me neither.
Reply to
Mike Hunter