Re: Wheel bearing grease

Thanks for the tip.

Here is the response I got from Jim Girard at Lubriplate for everyones information, or those who are interested.

"Thank you for contacting us. The other person you were talking to about this has been no doubt confused by information (or the lack thereof) available from our industry. Ball bearings are anti-friction type bearings as you know. Anti-friction bearings require greases with higher dropping (melting) points that plain and sleeve bearings. So, what you need is a grease that is thickened with lithium, lithium-complex or aluminum-complex. These greases can be fibrous, in other words, tacky, sticky or stringy -- however you want to describe their texture. Li, Li-Comp and Al-Comp greases can also be smoothe and buttery in texture. The confusion with fiber arises out of the old style wheel bearing and chassis greases which were thickened with sodium. Sodium greases had and still have a "short, fibrous texture." While sodium greases had and still have high enough melting points for successful use in anti-friction bearings, they are not water resistant. Automobiles encounter a lot of water! We recommend LUBRIPLATE Wheel Bearing Grease (original name!)for your application. Our Wheel Bearing Grease is smooth and buttery in texture. If you want a stringy texture grease, we offer Special Auto-Marine Grease. Both of these products are available through our Webstore. (I had to give the sales pitch.)"

So, that explains the fiber in the grease business.

Again, thanks for the website tip.

Mike

Reply to
michael

The lubriplate advice sounds good. Personally, I'd check with an RV shop, and see what's being used on ball bearing travel trailers. If it was my car, I'd convert to disc brakes, correct parts are nice, so is being able to stop short when some DB in a SUV coffee in one hand, cell phone in other, comes your way

Reply to
451 CTDS

Disc brakes are probably somewhere in the future.

But I have a feeling that 3675 lbs of american steel on wheels built the way it used to be built would come out on top against most of the plastic/synthetic products made today if push were to come to shove, so to say.

Mike

"...build a ford or a chevy, that still lasts 10 years like they should..." (Merle Haggard - Are the good days really over for good)

Reply to
michael

In the Sport of Demolition Derbies, you don't see many 59 Chevies. Why they do fold.

GM's that don't fold:

71 to 76 Chevy, Pontiac, Olds & Buick Full Size Cars & Station Wagons. 77 to 90 Chevy, Pontiac, Olds & Buick Station Wagons.

As for modern cars, those Ford Crown Vics don't fold much. Especially the Heavy Service Frame equipped versions. Also watch out for 84 up Lincolns. My business partner has one, an 88 Town Car. It has a Chevy 350, with a TH350 transmission, and a 10 bolt posi out of a 78 Chevy Police optioned Station Wagon. That car has been thru 3 hard demolition derbies, and is ready for it's fourth with only minor work. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

It's been done.

That's because you haven't asked me for any parts. Depending on what you need, it may already be tucked away in our stash. Or it may be on one of the ones about to get crushed. If you e mail me a list ill see if we have it. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig
1) I would argue that the reason '59 Chevs aren't seen in DDerbies is because there aren't many folks dumb/thoughtless enough to purposely mangle a batwing.

2) So *you guys* are the reas>> > The lubriplate advice sounds good. Personally, I'd check with an RV > shop,

Reply to
Marky

That was my lousy attempt at humor, apologies if offense was taken. But, since you mention it, where are you located? I'm always on the lookout for odds and ends to refurbish my rolling junk. At the present, I need a whole heater/evaporator box, straight quarter panels, a not-smashed grille, etc., etc... There was tons of stuff out West, but now that I'm back in Indiana I can't find anything thats not either rusted/dryrotted/smashed/blown up or attached to an overpriced private sale car.

Mark

Reply to
Marky

present, I need a whole

No offense taken. I'm located out side of Dayton Ohio. About an hour from Richmond Indiana.

I might have all the heat & AC items. My business partner at times saves that stuff. Stuff like grills I might also have. The best thing to do, is e mail me a list of what you need. Then let me check with him. We have stuff in 2 locations. So just because I don't see it, doesn't mean he might not have the items somewhere. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig