Replace Brake Fluid in 95 Century..DIY?

I've replaced brake fluids on Hondas and Toyos without ABS no problem.

My question: Is it any more difficult on a 95 Century with ABS? Will the ABS cause additional problems for a DIYer? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
DontSpamMe

A typical DIY'er cant actuate the abs unit which retains some fluid but getting any new fluid in there will help.

Reply to
HeatWave

It is always wise to invest in some sort of manual for your car, even a Chilton or Haynes. These should help you.

I have a Buick Reatta with Teves system, and do it myself. It requires some special procedures, but can be done by most people as long as they have access to the procedure.

You might be able to find the procedure for your car at the Buick auto club site, or at the Autozone do-it-yourself site.

Reply to
hls

Don't let it run out of fluid!!!! Or you will be taking it to a shop. Turn a large can upside down in the reservoir. Check it often.

Reply to
« Paul »

Thanks for the comments.

Just wondering if there were special procedures to follow..which of course there are..I'll goto my library for a Haynes. I know that the system shouldn't be drained dry..therefore I've built a DIY pressure pump that feeds in new fluid as old is drained out. Check out the pics here:

DontSpamMe

Neat project!

I just wondered... How standard the caps are for difference vehicles. I suppose if I could get an 'original' cap I could mount the hose on it directly instead of kludging it on a rubber cap.

Hmm, some bikes have square reservoirs... I'll have to see about how to make a plate adapter for on them.

I wonder if you were getting air mixed in the fluid from the turbulence in the sprayer pump? If that's not purged of air before you start... Then again, you could also make a small intermediate 'settling tank', but then have to worry about even MORE fluid in the pipeline.

Reply to
Mike Y

I was worried about this once. I was replacing all the metal brake lines my boss' '92 Caprice and thought I might run in to trouble with the abs pump.

I might have gotten lucky, but even after removing all of the lines and replacing them (and pushing all the air (in the new supply lines to the pump) through the pump) all I did was bleed them as if the abs system wasn't even there.

Worked like a charm. I even tested the abs out and the system worked fine afterward.

Reply to
Olaf

That was quite fortunate. I've played hell before, bleeding ABS. They seem to manufacture air in the lines sometimes. I've fought and fought with bleeding them, sometimes to simply leave them gravity bleeding for the night and to find them better the next day. Other times nothing seemed to work. And then other times - just like you, all seemed to go so easy...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I use the gravity-bleed method as I've found it to be the most reliable/foolproof method. It isn't quick, but it works.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt