Replacing Catalytic Converter Illegal?

I ran across a performance exhaust website today that stated on their catalytic converter page:

*It is illegal to replace an O.E. catalytic converter on any vehicle before it has reached 50,000 miles."

Is this true for all 50 states? I assume this does not count for any custom vehicles (completely rebuilt) or vehicles on which the cat has been damaged. That's too bad for all of us who have just installed new, after-market, high-flow exhaust systems.

BTW, who would even bother checking, and what would the fines be? My state doesn't even do emission testing where I live...........

Not Dead Yet

Reply to
NotDeadYet

"NotDeadYet" new, after-market, high-flow exhaust systems.

If they don't do emission checking you don't have issues with the state. If the vehicle is under a warranty you must leave it stock or clear it with the warranty holder.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

It's a federal law:

with every new converter, comes a manifest. Also, you must retain the removed converter for six months.

Refinish King

PS the DEP checks, or the State Inspection Management division of your states DMV checks. The fines can be as high as $50,000.00!

"NotDeadYet" new, after-market, high-flow exhaust systems.

Reply to
Refinish King

I guess this is not a good thing then, 'cause I took the one off my 87 pontiac and put a straight pipe in place of it.

Reply to
A Frazier

Removing a catalytic converter is MOST illegal anywhere in the United States.

Reply to
hyundaitech

When did this law come out? As I have never heard of it. Nor have I ever seen a manifest in a box with a new converter.

The longest a old or used converter sits around my shop is 3 months. When I have a smallload of them, I take them to the local core buyer. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I had the converter replaced on a 84 Cavalier in 1994, the State of Illinois required a Federal Form to be completed by the installer and signed by the owner stating the converter had been replaced. There were no emission tests being done by the state at that time.

Charles Bendig wrote:

Reply to
n9szi

Here in Ohio not all counties have emissions testing. The one I live in, as well as the one my shop is in (15 miles a part and in two different counties) both have emissions testing.

When I replace a converter on a car that has failed, or repair the emissions system, I print out the customer a detailed receipt. Other then that, I have not been required to do anything else.

The emissions testing here in Ohio is not run by the state. A privet company called Envio-Test handles it. They call the testing stations and system "E-Check". Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Removing it isn't. Driving on the road with it off is. If that was the case they would be putting every junk yard owner in the country in jail. All them poor old junk yard dogs would stave........ ;)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Federal law:

Anyone who knowingly and willingly defeats or disables an emission control device is subject to: a fine of $50.000.00 and/ or a term of not more than one year in prison.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

I don't know where you buy your converters then:

For the past 10 years or more, there's a 6 page manifest, with a blue page that goes to the customer.

One gets stapled to the work order, one gets taped to the work order, one gets mailed out to the fed DEP, and the other I guess is for ass wiping purposes. Because there aren't any instructions on it.

Refinish King

PS When you buy bulk converters if you have a pipe bender, the manifests are in the slots in the case each converter is in.

Reply to
Refinish King

The federal form:

as the other poster called it. Is the manifest. It's in every converter box, now that I think of it. It's more than fifteen years.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Most Salvage yard owners leave them in place until the exhaust system, drive line is removed or the car is ready to crush/shred.

Salvage yards are not supposed to sell used converters unless they have a tester for them. Last time I looked the test machine for them was $5K back in 1995. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I don't buy in bulk. We didn't get the building we wanted for an exhaust & used tire shop. I usually Purchase new Catalytic Converters at real parts houses. Such as John's Auto Parts, or USW (Under-Car Specialty Warehouse). I only buy direct fit units. Not the lower cost universals.

I don't have work orders either. If a customer needs a receipt for repairs, or parts. I just type them one up, and print it out. If need be, I sign it in front of a notary public. In the state of Ohio that is more then adequate.

I guess from now on I will have to make sure I receive my paper work with these new cats. Which will raise the flat rate cost on replacing them. I hate paper work, I do too much as it is. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I was told there was a federal law about reselling them. Most junk yards will not sell you used exhaust pipes or cats. I have never been able to confirm exactly what this is all about.

I do know a lot of these places cut them off quickly. There are platinum recovery places that buy the cores by the container load for metal recovery.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Bob

I used to manage a Salvage Yard a few years ago. We were not legally allowed to sell used converters, unless we had an EPA approved testing machine for them.

We were legally allowed to sell used Exhaust systems Minus the converter. While I did not sell too many whole systems, I averaged 15 Y-Pipe& Down pipe sales per month. Often the OEM down pipes & Y-Pipes fit better, and are thicker. A few Exhaust shops would buy them from us.

On cars like 82 to 92 F-bodies, or Fox Body Fords, if it had an aftermarket Exhausts system. Well those usually sold rather well. Especially to body shops. For the cost of 2 pipes and a muffler new, they could install a complete used cat back system from us.

As for cores, I still sell them to one of the 4 core buyers I used to deal with. He also buys all my battery cores as well. It's not uncommon for me to take him 20 batteries and 15 converters at once. Usually on my way to the shop first thing in the morning, since he's only 3 miles from home. Charles Auto Salvage is easy, it's dealing with the public that drives a person crazy.

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I buy over 80% direct fit;

But for the ones there are no direct fits for. You have to buy the universal and the kit, or if there's no installation kit. Go to the pipe bender and make it fit!

Every one I've ever bought since the law was enacted, there has been a manifest. In my previous post I said one was stapled to the work order, and one was taped to the work order. I made a typo. One gets taped to the old converter.

Refinish King

PS With Lacquer thinner disposal and waste paint disposal. I have a triple whammy with the DEP and OSHA watching me like a hawk. So I keep my paperwork current.

Reply to
Refinish King

Core buyers buy them:

Then they usually end up at: Texas gulf, Inc. A precious metal reclamation company, the largest in the USA.

Which extracts the platinum and Palladium, then smelts it. Makes ingots of it, and resells it to cat manufacturers.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King