Rotating the Tires

A recent poster spoke of rotating tires; "every oil change" ( every 6 > 7000 miles )

My Buick owner manual recommends rotating tires every 7500 miles ( if memory serves me correctly )

I don't know why, but it sounds like alot. Wasn't it usually every 15 > 20,000 miles ??

Wouldn't any signs of wear, cupping, etc. be indications of alignment or balance probs. ? Or does it just hide how quickly tires wear on FWD cars ???

Reply to
Anonymous

All are true. I get my engine oil changed every 5000 miles, so I find it convenient to have the tire rotation then. Sure, FWD front tires wear out more quickly than rears. Get over it.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Owners Manual for Mothers 1991 Cadillac says rotate tires at 6000 miles then every 15,000 ( rear wheel drive car ).

I can't find my owners manual at this time. I rarely rotated the tires in the first 8 years of ownership. The front & rear tires wore evenly across the tread. I never had a front wheel alignment until 1999 when a buddy replaced the front struts. The rear wheel's were just aligned this past August for the same reason, rear struts were installed. I've got Goodyear Regatta II's and they're a

80,000 mile tire.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~273,437 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

A recent poster spoke of rotating tires;

I like soft tires that grab the road and so I do mine every 5000 miles. My tires only last 35k-40k miles though.

Reply to
Pyats

My 2001 Malibu had the ultra crappy Firestone Affinity and the centres of the tires wore very badly, even though the tires were always kept at the proper pressure.

I mentioned this issue to my salesman when I picked up the 2003 I have now, and he mentioned that I might want to rotate the tires every 5000 kms, just to ensure that the tires last longer.

Until I had a car with the Firestones on it, I only used to rotate the tires every second oil change (10,000 kms)

Reply to
Brad Clarke

If your tire pressures and wheel alignment are kept in spec, then I think the frequent rotations are a bit much. 15,000 miles or so is more like it. (assuming reasonable quality tires & no weird wear patterns)

Frequent tire rotation can sometimes be related to a couple of other realities:

- More chances for some dimwit with an air gun to warp your rotors

- Greater opportunity for the accompanying "inspection" to uncover all manner of other problems (real or imagined) with brakes/shocks/suspension, etc. (ever wonder why so many shops offer "free tire rotation"?)

Look, I'm NOT saying all techs or shops are stupid and/or crooked, but enough of them are.

Me, I rotate my own tires every 15k & always use a torque wrench. Also take the time to inpect brakes etc while I'm there. Haven't ripped myself off yet ! (grin).

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

The 7500 to 10,000 mile rotation period may seem a bit excessive but there is reasoning to go with the madness. THe tires of FWD cars develop "horizontal wear bars" if the tires aren't rotate frequently enough. The result of this is that if you put the tires on the rear after they develop the "bars", your car gets the shakes. I've already experienced this so I know that it works this way. The tire shop that I deal at recommends a 10,000 mile rotation and I do it at every oil change. BTW, a good tire shop will rotate your tires free (as in no cost to you). Since I began the frequent rotations, I don't have the problem.

Reply to
Rich B

I'm not doubting what you say about FWB & "horizintal wear bars", but I gotta ask: why would that be?? How is a properly aligned, reasonably driven FWD car different as far as tire wear is concerned?

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

RJ,

If you would like to get the maximum life out of your tires, then have them rotated at every 2nd oil change.

In a front wheel drive car, the front tires will look flat and even, as far as wear goes. The rear/non-drive tires will develop lumps and pits, if they are not rotated. This is also dependent on the tire type and quality.

Someone in this thread, said something about being talked into brake pad replacement, when tires are rotated. When your tires are rotated, this is the best time to check your brake pads. If you wait until the metal backing plates hit the rotors, then you will need new rotors (Additional cost). There should be no extra charge to report brake pad life. It should be included during the rotation.

When you have the tires rotated, ask them to inspect the brake pads, and give you an idea of how much pad is left.

GMdude, Former GM Tech.

P.S. There are 3 things that I view as important, personal safety issues, on any vehicle. The ability to stop, steering/suspension components, and good tires.

Reply to
GMdude

If possible, have the thickness measured. Then it is the owner's responsibility to know the specs on the brake pad himself. Know what the minimum safe thickness is. Otherwise, you might have three tenths of an inch of pad and the tire guy might try to tell you that they are just about gone. In other words, be an informed consumer.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Can't tell you any more about horizontal wear bars but I was told his by the owner of a tire store and a Chevy dealer. I've known both of them for many years and I trust their judgement. The problem for me came when I bought my first FWD car and didn't rotate the tires for 20,000 miles. After I rotated them, the car had a vibration that cleared up when I put the tires back to their original positions.

Reply to
Rich B