Advice and suggestions needed for Olds engine project

Please reply to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com as I have a duplicate hot in the listed "reply to" address

The project is to revive a sailplane launch winch that has a 350cid Olds engine with an automatic transmission as it's power plant. We believe the engine is late 60s vintage, but don't have any more info than that for now. The engine has sat for 10+ years and we have not been able to get it to turn (seized). It's probably easier for us to find a new engine or new engine & transmission to replace what we have got.

The winch drum is bolted onto a rear axle which has been modified and there is a custom built driveshaft that is only about 1.5 to 2 feet long that connects the rear end to the transmission. To avoid having to re-design/re-build any of this we will be looking for something that matches up. One person has made the comment that it may be possible to get a 454 and hold dimensions, etc. If that's possible, we'd certainly like to have more power than less.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Zivley