punctures

Hi. My series 3 has the standard road wheels with tubed tyres. I've had a spate of punctures recently, caused as far as I can make out, by flakes of rust (from the inside of the wheels?) penetrating the tube (the outer casing of the tyres seems intact). Anybody got any solutions? Is this why lots of owners buy alternative wheels and fit tubeless tyres? I always get a tyre repair garage with the professional equipment to mend the tyre, but is it feasible to remove the tyres at home with tyre levers (so as to be able to de-rust the wheels)?

Thanks for any ideas,

Dave

Reply to
David Bexhall

David Bexhall vaguely muttered something like ...

Yup .. get the tyres removed, clean the wheels, preferably sand-blasted, then use an etch primer and an enamel paint. Get new tubes.

It is feasible to do it with tyre levers, but it's harder than a hard thing on a bad day. Use a local tyre fitter.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

If your aren't in any rush (and wan't to keep the vehicle running) you could do them one-at-a-time, starting with the spare (but don't go to far from home!)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

the inner tubes available today are very thin compared to ones that used to be used and they will puncture easily .

do youre tyres have small diagonal ribs inside , most landy tyres do , if so then this is the root of the problem, the ribs rub against the tubes and eventually puncture them .

rarely do i get a true puncture which is down to an object picked up through wall of tyre , it allways seems from within the tyre itself .

check youre tube next time to see where the puncture originated from within the trye/wheel .

i have had many a puncture in the years ive owned landrovers/rangerovers and its allways the same problem , i got used to it and it only costs me £5 to get them repaired or have my new tubes fitted .

i tend to use remould mudtrack tyres and am aware i dont have the best options , but price is important .

it doesnt matter if you use steel landrover/ steel rangerover rostyle or rangerover classic ali rims , they all do the same thing .

i have sandblasted and painted the rostyle rims , they are better now but ive still had 2 punctures in the last year since new tryes placed on them , it usually comes hand in hand with driving longer distances than just a few miles , ie you get home after a trip out and the the next morning find you have a flattie :-(( !!.

i buy a few spare tubes every so often and when i get a puncture i just have a new tube fitted . i think tubeless are the way to go though and would be insterested as to what others use in the way of rims and tyre combinations .

i used to use weller 8 spoke rims with tubeless 31x10.5x15 armstrong norseman tyres and only ever had one puncture .

Reply to
M0bcg

Loads of talcum when you assemble them stops this.

Reply to
EMB

On or around 02 Oct 2004 11:56:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (M0bcg) enlightened us thusly:

bloody had one the other day. damned if I know what the offending item was, it looks vaguley like a piece of bone from some small animal. went through the tyre right at the edge of the tread, and needed a tube to fix it as it wasn't in a pluggable location, buggrit.

Rabbit's revenge, perhaps...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I bought a Tyrepliers kit a couple of months ago so that I could do jobs like this myself, at home or when out and about. A bit pricey at 160 quid plus the dreaded, but well worth it IMHO. When we were in Belgium a few weeks ago I picked up a puncture (friction between the tyre and tube). It took 30 minutes to remove the tyre and tube from the wheel, clean the tyre and wheel and put the tyre back on the wheel with a new tube. They are available in the UK from Outback Import - 01274 735000 There's a picture of the kit propped up against the front of my motor in the November LRe mag (Shop Window section). The kit comes with a bead breaker tool (the Tyrepliers) and a couple of good quality tyre levers. You also get a box of repair tools, patches etc... for tubed and tubeless repairs. It also includes a small guide book that takes you through everything you need to know to use the kit properly. I've changed tyres with levers before but, I now know, that I was using brute force rather than technique. With the right technique it really is an easy job to do. No connection, just the usual evangalism of someone who now wonders how they survived for so long without this particular bit of kit :-)

Anyway, assuming that you are fitting new tubes there are a few things that need to be done before you fit them. Unfortunately most tyre places will just throw the tubes in without any thought or preparation. They also use the cheapest (read thinnest) tubes they can lay their hands on so you should always insist on known manufacturer tubes or supply your own. IME professional tyre fitters have a nasty habit of pinching the tubes as they put the tyre on and their rotating machine twists the tube and it's valve which can lead to failures later on. Strangely I've not yet had a puncture in a tube I fitted myself but in the past I've had punctures within weeks (in one case within a day) of having them fitted by a "professional".

1) Check the inside of the tyre for anything that shouldn't be there - it's not unknown for "tubeless" tyres to have labels stapled to the inside of the tyre. The staple will soon wear through the tube as the tyre flexes. 2) Clean the inside of the tyre and the rim as best you can, removing any dust, dirt, rust etc... 3) Cover the inside of the tyre and the tube with talcum powder. This helps reduce friction wear between the tyre and tube and can extend the life of the tube considerably.

HTH

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

In message , Mark Solesbury writes

Have you put it through some rough stuff and forced gravel between the bead and the rim? If so a reseat is all you'll need.

Reply to
AJG

Saw packs of 5 valve cores full length and stubbies in Halfruads, Carlisle just the other day, didn't take note of the price.

Not been aware of tyre levers or bead sealant though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't know about bead sealant, but I have heard about 'tyrepliers' take a look here -

distributor here -
£72.45 !!?? only worth it if you change tyres regurlarly I would have thought.

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety