S-10 4-wheel drive will not start when cold(below 32 degees

Thanks Guys!

I have a 2000 4.3 S-10. Runs good,starts fine and no engine lights. BUT will not start when the temp go below 32 degrees. It been in the shop but still no fix. Got any ideas!! thanks

Reply to
okdenny

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:41:13 -0800, okdenny got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

Have you checked the actuator? I don't know about the '00 model, but the

4x4 actuator on my '95 was prone to go out...

...or engage in 4hi while on the freeway. :P

Reply to
PerfectReign

does it crank-no fire? One thing I'd be looking at closely it fuel pressure-if key on you have 52 psi or lower at initial key on- 2 seconds-you probably have a fuel pump thats gone south. If this is the case its probably in your best interest to change out the fuel filter first as a plugged fuel filter can cause this pressure related issue.(rarely but...) Good luck-how many miles on this 2000? Good luck snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com

PerfectReign wrote:

Reply to
blazerman

Another thought I had was to have it scanned and when its 32 and this problem is happening-look and the coolant sensor-not the one that sends the signal to the dash but the one that reports to the computer. If this was giving false information it could cause all kinds of problems. Beyond that-it'll have to be checked for lack of spark or fuel exactly when this all is happening-that'll hopefully lead you in some direction. good luck snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com

PerfectReign wrote:

Reply to
blazerman

Thanks for the reply! Theres hope. Let me give a few more details!

It has 160,000 miles on it. It does crank over just fine. It just does not start. The first time it did it , it was cold and ice on the windows. I went to warm it up buy just opening the door and turning the key.It fired and then died. So I got inside and all it would do is turn over, Not even a sign it was going to fire. I even held the pedal to the floor, no start. I go out in the afternoon and try it , it starts right up.

The next morning cold again. I get in this time and give it a little throttle when it fired, start right up. I ran it for about 30 secs, it idled fine. I turn it off and said to myself lets see if it starts now. It would not start. It just turned over and over. Not to good if I want to take it skiing. So I took it to the shop. He said it had fuel pressure not sure how much and no sensors came up bad on the scan.

Needless to say I went and got it for the weekend (130 dollars later) And it still does the same thing. We've had a short cold spell but it is warning back up. A few days ago it was about 26 degrees and I tried starting it. No hope at all, all it did was turn over. What do you think about that. I don't mine paying the money, I just need it reliable. I' ll change both the temp sensor and fuel filter if you think I should. Where is that sensor located about. Thanks for your time Dennis

Reply to
okdenny

a couple of things-if your guy didn't know the fuel pressure exactly-he needs to. At the moment this happens he(you)need to know the fuel pressure when this is all going on-if it's below 50psi while cranking-your issue is fuel related(ie either fuel pump or restriction in fuel-fuel filter). If this is the case, don't waste your time doing the temperature sensor. If you have 55ish psi fuel pressure, then I would tend to think the pump and filter is ok. The temperature sensor(not sender-there is a difference)is located in the water jacket near the thermostat. Make sure when you get one, get one from a good quality parts house and get the sensor not sender. The sensor is for the computer and the sender is for the gauge. This parts house should be able to show you where exactly it's located. Keep in mind-if you go to unplug it and you key on your Blazer and your dash gauge goes to 100 degrees(the lowest figure on your dash) you got the wrong one. Also, one is different than the other-looks similar but plug will be different. Keep in mind these are only guesses from 100's (if not more)miles away. If neither suggestion worked it should be brought to a knowledgable mechanic(shop) and if they can duplicate the problem- they should be able to solve it. Hopefully you won't continue to be charged for wrong guesses-or atleast get cut you some slack(realizing we all have to eat but....we all have to sleep too). good luck-lastly if none of the above is your issue-you have good fuel pressure and this sensor is reporting to the pcm correctly(a good scan tool will tell you this and eliminate guessing)then the 'spark' angle will have to be looked at. snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com

blazerman wrote:

Reply to
blazerman