2000 alero rough idle from cold start

I have a 6 cylinder 2000 olds Alero. When I start it from a cold start it idles rough for about 60 seconds and then runs fine. As long as the engine is warm I have no problems. If I try to drive off while it is idleing rough the check engine light will come on and and go off after it starts to idle correctly. I thought it might be the EGR valve stuck open or something like that. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
jdmcfish

Even if there's no check engine light, dump the codes from the computer.

Far less expensive and quicker than throwing parts at the problem.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

I think I'll go buy a scan tool. This is an OBD2 car isn't it?

Reply to
jdmcfish

Sure is.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I think I'll go buy a scan tool. This is an OBD2 car isn't it?

I believe that AutoZone stores offer a free scan for codes. HTH

Reply to
doug

Thanks. I took off the egr valve and I was able to loosen one side with my fingers. It wasn't even tight at all. I think it was leaking some air. I cleaned it and put it back together and it has worked fine since.

Reply to
jdmcfish