Safest car?

You might find the not-for-profit consumer education and advocacy organization "ConsumerAffairs.org" website & newsletter quite interesting >>

Very welldone automotive affairs coverage.

Reply to
Bill Freeman

Also look at this, though American cars (i.e. US-brands made in the US) hardly figure:

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

That's interesting and surprising!

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

That makes the Merc safer! I suggest that the Merc's crumple zone also helped the Maxima driver. (I wonder if the head restraint was set at the right level -- may drivers leave it too low.)

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

No, that was a 280S from the S-Class W140 model.

And YES, I AM sure!

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

(snip)

Or just buy a Benz from the previous generation in mint condition. No electronics or cutting-edge nonsense - just solidly built.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Can't say, but my 92 Chevy Caprice was rear ended while I was sitting still in traffic on a highway over a crest in the road.

The guy was driving a Taurus and by the time he hit me, had to be doing at least 40mph. I let off the brake just in time and floored it as the traffic in front of me started to move which lessend the impact I'm sure.

Net result, one totaled Taurus (brand new with 6k miles on it BTW) and a scratch on my rear bumper. Yep, just a scratch.

Parts of the Taurus were flying over the top of my car when he hit.

psycho

Reply to
psycho pastrami

You are hysterical!!!

And right on the money as well :)

psycho

Reply to
psycho pastrami

Yes, but how's your neck feeling these days? ;-)

Reply to
Michael Hobbs

I hear ya!!

It was like being on a miserable rollercoaster ride, but I had a belt on and the head restraint was up, thank goodness because I am 6'1" !!!

Reply to
psycho pastrami

There must be something about rear end collisions. Recently someone drove my S500 into a Nissan Maxima. By the time it hit it was already pretty slow (he tried to stop but didn't stop in time). My 98 S500 had more than $9000 of damage, while the Maxima had NO obvious damage at all. (The people in the S500 only felt small jerk, no injuries or nothing, the driver in the Maxima was jolted more).

Reply to
Joe Liu

4 stars driver, 2 stars passenger. Rather disappointing..

Of course, the NHTSA crash tests are the equivalent of a collision with a vehicle of similar weight, so realistically that's not bad, but still..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Could be, but I know my Caprice has an I-Beam bumper on shock absorbers.

Reply to
psycho pastrami

Usually the car approaching from the rear is doing a "panic" stop and the front end dives under the rear of the car ahead.. Lots of damage to the front of the offending car. Little (other than bumper damage) to the car ahead.

Howard

Reply to
hnelson

Then explain why minivans and large 4-door cars, which weigh less than large SUVs, have lower own-driver death rates and lower overall death rates than large SUVs. Also, midsize 4-door cars, which weigh less than midsize 4-door SUVs, have a lower own-driver death rate and a lower overall death rate than midsize 4-door SUVs.

See page 16-17 of

Timothy J. Lee

In a rear end crash, the rear car usually takes more damage, since the nose diving due to panic braking causes the grill of the rear car to hit the bumper of the front car.

Did she have the seat belts on and the head restraint properly adjusted?

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Gotta love that image. Lol(for real).

"Oh - did something just hit me?"

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

If that is a fact perhaps it is because they carry more passengers on average. You can search the Congressional Record for the report to the Senate of the overall better safety record of larger vehicles in general, if you wish.

mike hunt

"Timothy J. Lee" wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

That's right. The morning commute is full of SUVs car pools... NOT!

Are you trying to imply that an SUV in average carries more people (not seating capacity) than minivans???

I think that you're ignoring the physics of lower safety standards for trucks and of their poorer handling and braking...

Reply to
Neo

All light trucks sold in the US, which includes SUV's, must meet the same NHTSA safety standards as cars. Yet another bit of false information from the ant-SUV crowd. If you don't like SUV's, don't buy one, WBMA.

mike hunt

Neo wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson