Source for quality valve covers?

Back a few years ago my 85 S-15 (2.8L V6) overheated and ever since then there has been a persistent oil leak from under the valve covers. I've had the gasket replaced but with no effect on the leak whatsoever. I have come to the conclusion that when the engine overheated it has warped the covers, so now am am in need of replacement covers. The shop guy suggested I get some good quality covers, unlike the flimsy OE covers that came on the engine. The problem is, I can't seem to find any covers that are not "dress-up" type covers, ie: chrome, fancy logos, etc, for this engine. Most covers are sold for 8-cyl engines, not the lowly V6.

First off, can anyone recommend any particular source for good quality covers, I don't want to pay for chrome unless its on quality material. Also, what material is best? Most I've seen are either stamped or die cast aluminum. Whats the difference?

Thanks,

Casey

Reply to
CNB

I hear your distress, and agree " Racey Spacey " parts aren't always what you want, or need. Spectrum, and others make valve cover spreaders, these metal strips spread the clamping force of the bolt, and do wonders to stop leaks. Here's the drill ;

Remove valve cover, clean flange and mating surface on head Glue gasket to valve cover. When glue is dry, install cover, gently torque down, if using spreaders, go to studs, they hold much better than bolts.

I've seen too many shops glue down covers, than back car out of shop before sealer dries. Hope this helps

Reply to
451CTDS