Transmission pan gasket...is it needed?

Hello, I have to replace my transmission fluid and filter..the guy at the parts store says I do not need a new pan gasket as the original is reuseable...Is this true? My vehicle is a 96 Transport

Reply to
Chuck

Surprised that a new gasket doesn't come with the filter. I don't reuse them nor recommend it, although you might be able to get away with it more often than not.

Reply to
<HLS

My vehicule is a 99 Pontiac Montana and has a reusable gasket. The gasket is ticker than the regular ones.

Reply to
ega

Very possibly true. Not familiar with your vehicle but the gasket on my '93 Eldo seems to be made of metal encased in neoprene. It is reusable. Chances are if it's not included in the filter set, it's reusable. BTW, do yourself a favor and torque the gasket to spec. Do not rely on "feel". I've learned that with today's aluminum components there are three levels of tight..too loose, torqued to spec, and stripped.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Yes, you can reuse those ones if they are not the paper gasket. Most of GM's transmissions now use pan gaskets that can be re-used a number of times. After a while they do start to develop minor splits in the rubber....at that point...you can replace it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai