For what it is worth, I had one of the GM Fiero's, 1984 model, which had all
sorts of teething
problems, including oil leaks.
GM pulled it in for numerous recalls. One of them including resealing the
engine, and they
did it with RTV blue silicone instead of gaskets. It worked, but I always
thought it was a
pretty aesthetically unsatisfying solution.
When the block finally cracked, as most of them did, I rebuilt it on a solid
block found in
I machined the head sealing surface to make it smooth and replaced the
metal valve cover with a cast aluminum one . I also cleaned up the head and
the oil drain back holes so that oil didn't puddle up. Then, an ordinary
gasket controlled the
leaks. All that may not have been necessary, but after all, this was a
project, not a repair.
I found that some areas ( like the water outlet from the block) leaked when
I tried to use
commercial gaskets, no matter how straight and smooth they were. I used the
there, applying a coat, allowing it to partially set and then torqueing
down. I had problems
with this, as I tried to fill with water after the normal set time. Then I
re-did the work,
allowing the RTV to set roughly overnight. Never another problem.
If you are going to use RTV, make sure the surfaces are clean and degreased.
Don't gob it
on...use enough to do the job but not so much it squeezes out internally and
gets out of
control. You dont want blobs of this stuff to get inside your engine.
Let it cure thoroughly regardless of what it may say on the tube. Err on
the side of