Service questions

Hi,
Just a couple of questions, had my two year service (20,000 mile) for my 206 LX last week. While it was being serviced the Peugeot garage phoned me to
say that it was also due for a A/C gas refill (80.00)and Brake Fluid replacement (37.00). I had the Brake fluid done, but this seems a little strange to me, I mean, if they were due, then why were they not part of the service?
Also, I checked the oil and that looks quite dark (after doing about 15 miles), not what I would expect. They also claimed to have changed the oil filter, any way of checking this?
Hope you all can help...
David
I have just had the 2yr service done on my 406 and I had the same problem with the brake fluid change. I payed 60 at the dealer which I thought was a bit steep but it was for the warranty with the ABS system. The theory is that the brake fluid is supposed to degrade but after 2 years and 10,500 miles ?????. If the oil has just been changed it should have a brand new shiny filter on so if yours has got caked in grime on it then the chaches are that it has not.
I'm not sure where to find the oil filter!. There is something oil filter shaped, it is black plastic and has purflux filtre written on it. Is this the filter or is it just a filter cover? (if it is a cover how do I remove it?)
It is a bit grimy and certainly not new, however if it is a cover, then perhaps I can remove it?
Thanks
David
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (Lithick) wrote in message

That is the oil filter and it doesn't have a cover.
Did you get this car serviced by a Peugeot dealer? An A/C re-gas after 2 years seems a bit premature. They are supposed to test the brake fluid to see if it needs replacing. The decision is yours whether to change these items or not, it does not affect the stamp in your book. In my experience many dealers suggest you change items which are perfectly serviceable.
They may have changed the oil but if they didn't allow enough time to drain the old oil the new oil becomes dark as well.
If you have warranty outstanding for your car then you'll have to read it for all the things it covers and find out if this is covered, as for the brake/hydraulic fluid then this needs replacing at certain intervals, as does the antifreeze im afraid. I get these things done with a little help if needed from my bro' in law, whos a time served mechanic; i just buy what i need either from the dealer or a motor factor, and do it myself. They should use semi-synthetic engine oil i think (they do in the 406), and different oils from different manufacturers is different colours, i.e. it can be almost clear, slightly coloured or more coloured. To check if they have changed the oil filter, you can look at the area above, around, and below it; look for traces of spilt oil, and also the filter itself should look new. In my opnion, servicing is a scam, the only way i would have it done at a dealer is if it was a new car, like, brand new, because it has to be done this way to fulfill the warranty of the vehicle. other wise its a way of getting money out of people and sometimes the garage isnt all that honest; you see tv programmes about it, and i have seen it first hand, some garages dont do all the work they claim to have done, i have laid a few traps in the past and caught people out that way. This is the reason i do it myself; at least i know its done, and if theres something i dont know about i dont touch it, i get the bro' in law to help me with it. I do mine myself, buying the parts from either the dealer or a good motor factors, but i write in the date and milage and stuff into the book; though it may not be dealer stamped, at least its written in and shows that the work has been carried out. But do check your warranty book to see whats covered.

206
the
oil
The only thing covered in a warranty is the dealer !!! It a guide to loopholes, exceptions, not covered "due to wear and tear",and subject to supplier warranty.
thats true!!

206
the
I have a Y reg GLX and a few months ago it had its 20,000 mile service, I've never had to pay to get the AC refilled. The air conditioner system should be sealed tight. If it needs refilling after 20,000 miles then you could easily argue that it has a leak and should be fixed under warranty (if your car is less than 3 years old).
Whenever Peugeot have changed my oil and filter the oil has been almost colourless, it has a slight yellow tint. Perhaps the colour of cooking oil would be a good analogy. I've done over 1000 miles in my car since the oil change and the dipstick still looks pretty much colourless... maybe a bit darker. Certainly not black or brown or anything though.
Adam
Hello,
I m working for a Peugeot dealer( as mechanic ) in Belgium, but my Englisch isn t so good.( sorry for that ! ) The break fluid should be changed every 2 years or 60.000 km Every time you stop, the fluid gets warm ( or hot sometimes ) and it looses some of his quality...that s why it must been changed.
The A/C gas refill wasn t nessesary.... We do it when the people complain that it isn t working properly anymore... Most of the time it is after 4 - 5 years ( or when there is a leak )
It isn t so that you can check if the oil filter has been changed just by searching for oil traces. We clean the engine with a special oil cleaner, so there are no traces at all. When we wouldn t do that, after a time engine would be dirty and full of oil traces so....
On a 206 there are 2 models of oil filters, depending on the year it was made. If your case, when you see a black cover a little bit standing up on the right side of the engine, it is a cover. The oil filter is inside. ( spare part nr: 1109R6 ) The cover stays, only the filter is changed, you can't see it... Even if you take it off, it is very difficult to see if it is a new filter or not..
Normally the oil should be bright...but it is correct, like mr Greaves said that the color depends of the brand...
groetjes,
Tim ----- Original Message ----- From: M. H. Greaves Newsgroups: alt.autos.peugeot Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2004 10:57 AM Subject: Re: Service questions
[...]

That was very useful thanks!
I now feel that I was perhaps being a little paranoid, but all of your answers, especially Tim Bergier's answer, have helped. After looking at the oil again, it is possible that it was just tainted with the old oil, it is mostly clear, not black but a toffee brown.
The brake fluid replacement also seems logical now, but I still feel that when you pay 130 for a service (and all they are doing is replacing oil and making a few checks), then that should come with it.
Anyway, thanks again.
David