Squealing Brakes

Just put a new set of front rotors & pads on my '99 Malibu. This time I'm getting brake squeal at low speeds & light pedal pressure. I've heard different opinions on this, such as:

  1. Lube the backing plates & contact points with high-temp grease.

  1. Glue the backing plates down with 'anti-squeal' compound.

  2. Give them a few K to 'break-in' & it'll go away on its own.

What's the collective wisdom, grease 'em, glue 'em or leave 'em be??

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

I don't know about collective wisdom, but I've been using silicone grease on the back of front brake pads for years now. This seems to work better then that "anti-squeal" compound, which I've used in the past. I don't see any of my brake work back for squealing pads. Note: this assumes you use the OEM pads. We had a lot of problems with "A/C Delco" pads and aftermarket pads.

Second note: It's not uncommon for disc brake pads to have some minor squeal under the conditions you mention. Try the grease and see if there is any difference.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Another thought is to try the new ceramic pads. Amazingly clean running pads & I've yet to hear any complaints with regards to squealing.

Though they're a touch on the expensive side.....

Reply to
Full_Name

I've thought about going that route. I'm tired of fighting a losing batlle with brake dust.

Are they harder on the rotors than traditional pads?

I expect to replace rotors after maybe 3 sets of pads, but some pads seem a lot tougher on the rotors than others.

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

I haven't had enough in long enough to know for certain (no customers in Taxi's :-) But so far so good. and the ceramic mix pads seem to do as good dust wise at nearly 1/2 the cost ( $80 CDN v/s $145 CDN)

Fingers crossed so far

Let us know if you do try them how you find them

Reply to
Full_Name

I install them about one out of 4 brake jobs. I always use anti-squeal on the backing plates. So far the only one with a squeal is my 1998 Century, which has had a brake squeal since I have had it. It's no where near as bad as it used to be. I drive with my windows down rather often, and would say it's in the acceptable range.

As for the pads them self, they work rather well. I get Ceramic-Titanium's here for $18.50 to $30 per set at the jobber supply parts house. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig