How good are the newer GM factory sunroofs?

I've been looking at a new rig for the wife to drive and she asked me about having a sunroof. I know the earlier factory units had problems with leaking after a few years so I thought I'd ask and see what the current state of sealing was. Most vehicle I gat to work on don't have them and I can actually only think of 1 vehicle I know the owner of that has a GM with the factory moonroof.

(new vehicle will probably be a Trailblazer since she currently drives an S Blazer and likes the size and handling of that vehicle)

Reply to
Steve W.

Well, FWIW I bought a 2002 Cavalier sedan with a factory sunroof last fall at an auction. 2 weeks ago I was rear-ended hard by a Ford Explorer. The Cav is currently sitting in my yard waiting on an insurance adjuster. It's rained hard at least twice in the meantime and there's still no leak or dampness.

Reply to
Sideshow Bob

Most factory sunroofs do not have any significant leakage problems anymore. GM had some issues with N-body (Alero, Grand Am, not sure about Malibu) sunroof glasses leaking, but I think that has been resolved.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Oh, yeah. Do not under any circumstances retrofit a car with a sunroof. Sooner or later, you'll be sorry.

Reply to
hyundaitech

depends how badly you want it. I've seen a few guys post that theirs had leaks and when they wanted to buy new seals found out you had to buy the entire sunroof assembly. About $1000. The weatherstrip was not sold individually. This was on like a 97 Grand Prix.

On the trail blazer does the glass slide into the roof or slide up and over the roof? The up & over the roof tend to give a bit more wind buffeting noise. ALso there is less of an opening. 2000 Impala goes up & over so the actual opening from front to back is only 9 inches of space.

Good Luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~286,950 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

This information is probably totally useless to you, seeing how you are inquiring about new cars, but you did mention aging vehicles, so I can say that I have owned a '90 and a '91 Bonneville and both had factory sun roof's, and neither leak(ed) at all. I have only had my current '91 Bonnie for a couple of months now, but we have had some terrible storms, and it has never leaked a drop...also, the old Bonnie had well over 200,000 and the new one has almost 200,000 (km's on both).

Just FYI :-)

Reply to
80 Knight

Reply to
stuart8181

No offence, but there are all kind's of vehicles out there with sunroof's, t-tops and convertibles.

Reply to
80 Knight