Sunfire vs Cavalier - reliable transporation ??

I'm looking to pick up a relatively inexpensive car for my daughter to use to get to and from work and school. Single mother of an 8 year old. Reliability counts as she is about 80 miles away... and I'm the one she calls for service and maintenance.

Are there any known issues with the Sunfire or Cavalier ?? They seem to be appropriate in terms of styling.... looking at the 2.2 engine with

4 spd xmision.

How is the reliability of these cars ??? How about the 2.2 engine.... I'm assuming it has a timing belt which needs to be changed on a regular basis....are there any gasket or bearing problems ??

As always...thanks for your recommendations and advice...they are well appreciated !!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

i have a 2000 cavalier i bought new not one problem. Also there is no timming belt to replace as the 2.2l eng has a chain which is great. Brian - Las Vegas

Reply to
Brian Bower

Reliability is more based on the previous owner than on the car. You don't state year or mileage you are looking at. Age and location have a lot to do with reliability also. Salt areas start having rust problems after 6 or 7 years. Not the body so much as the brake, fuel, power steering lines and gas tank. I have had about half a dozen Cavaliers with no major problems. My current Cav is a 96 which I just had the head gasket replaced on.

Reply to
Woody

If you want a small GM car for her, I'd also recommend that you check out a

1996 to 2004 Saturn S series. The SL and SL1 have 8 valve engines. The SL2 has a 16V engine. It'd be about the same price as a Cavalier. I think the reliability is better with a Saturn. Saturns are smoother and more refined than Cavaliers. The Saturns get almost 10mpg highway more than the Cavalier.
Reply to
grappletech

Reply to
Peter

Peter wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
grappletech

I remember in automotive technology class the instructor recommended that if you were going to work in a dealership, Saturn would be the one...the reason, among others, being that there are a relatively few different models, versus working in a Dodge, GM, etc, each of which have a myriad of different model cars, trucks, etc. So in buying one, and having to have it repaired at the dealer, you'd have a considerably higher likelihood of having it repaired correctly the first time. Nothing wrong with a GM, though :-))

Reply to
James Goforth

Even better would be working on an assembly line building toasters. All you have to do is put in your two screws and a knob as it goes buy again and again, for the next 30 years of your working career.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Apples and oranges.

Reply to
James Goforth
30 yrs putting knobs and screws in a toaster - I think I would kill myself. Sometimes life feels like 30 yrs of putting knobs and screws on a toaster AND YOU CANNOT TAKE IT ANYMORE !!!!! Sorry - I lost control a bit. Now back to work - Knob and 2 screws, Knob and 2 screws ..... Its going to be alright...One day at a time - You can do it. Brian - Las Vegas
Reply to
Brian Bower

Have you heard about that new concept? It's called "getting a different job." People can now do this when they are somehow dissatisfied with their current one. And I think it's catching on. It might be the Next Big Thing. Check it out !

Reply to
James Goforth

Not all that bad....

You Unionize with the UAW Draw a salary of $65,000 a year. Full family medical benefits, Paid vacation and holidays. And SENIORITY... lets not forget seniority. Retire after 30 years, with a generous pension, and lifetime medical....

I think you can "tough it out".......

Reply to
Anonymous

Have you ever spent time working on a car assembly line? Some people can do it quite fine, others can't. Not even for your $65,000 a year figure.

Reply to
80 Knight

Exactly why I made my comment about working on Saturns all day every day. I hate repetitive work and grow bored very fast. The challenge of troubleshooting and working on different makes of car is much more stimulating that doing plug changes on the same car every day, every week, every year. In addition, if you become proficient with more vehicles, the potential to earn more is there also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Exactly. I don't think '' gets it though.

Reply to
80 Knight

You'd be surprised at how many people tough it out at crappy jobs they can't stand. Obligations, family, bills, insurance coverage are all reasons to keep going to work.

My point was, a crappy job at UAW wages/benefits is better than a crappy job at McDonalds wages/benefits.

Reply to
Anonymous

Big difference. At GM, on the line, you just make cars every day and think about the money you are making. At McDonalds, you have the feeling of worth and satisfaction that comes from knowing you are making society better by helping to feed them a nutritious meal. Ranks right up with a surgeon saving lives.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That, and a dime...... ( now a buck )

Reply to
Anonymous

I understand your point. Mine, however, is that working on the line isn't as easy as you make it seem. I live 5 minutes away from GM's Oshawa, Ontario plant, and most of my family works there. They have seen first hand how much a line job can eat away at you, and so have I.

Reply to
80 Knight

Cavalier yr 2000 4dr 2.2 L is a good car. eventhough it has Nippondenso ignition parts and not USA parts.

Reply to
Brian Bower