Is S60 reliable?

I've owned Volvos over 30 years, beginning with '71 144s, and many 240s since then. I currently drive 91 240. In the last 5 years (my "retro" period), I've owned a 122s (father-son project), and still own 70 1800E, which I will sell sometime soon.

For job reasons (high-tech industry sales), I need to upscale to something more modern looking, even though I'm an "old-school" Volvo fan.

I like the stylish look of the S60/S80 models, but concerned about reliability and maintenance expense. The last thing I need is high-speed performance.

What are the group's opinions on the S60? Which years? Which options (turbo, or non-turbo)? How many miles? Common complaints/fail-points? Maintainability? Reliability?

Thanks, Pat Q

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

Maybe you should look at a 1998 S90... It looks like a very elegant car, has all the modern features, and it's still an "old-school" volvo.

You should drive what you want, not what other people expect you to drive.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

We have a 2001 S60. Only major repair has been a throttle control item, can't remember the exact name. It kept the car from going over 30 mph.

The biggest nuisance has been the remote fobs. Dealer has repaired them twice already, and now they are still working intermittently. Hopefully, newer ones are more reliable.

Norm

Pat Quadlander wrote:

Reply to
Norman Koller

Consumer Reports has an issue on automopbiles each year, with information on repairs that were needed by model and year. The publictaion can be found in most US public libraries. You can read it online if oyu are a subscriber, bt you can buy the new car guide for $9.95 at their online bookstore:

307&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id271&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id89451&bmUID87234863344.It has reliability information.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I've had an S60 2.0T for 2yrs and recently changed to a S60 D5. I've had no problems at all doing business mileage around the UK. Software was updated on the dash recently as the trip occasionally reset itself, cup holder on the 2.0T dash stopped closing (but then I did use it as a phone holder), got through a large number of lightbulbs with the daylight running lights on, but nothing major. Now get much improved mpg as well with the diesel and not much of a difference in performance.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Tavener

Graham, what sort of mpg were you getting with the 2.0T ?? Thinking of getting one. Was yours auto or manual?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Our '01 2.4T now has about 47,000 miles, and we've had it about 3 1/2 years. Biggest problem (which we didn't even know about except for the "message center" directing us to have it serviced ASAP) was a need to replace both the throttle body and the gas pedal position sensor (that tells the computer how hard you're pressing on it), both accomplished under warranty. Otherwise, there have been a few small things, like side marker lights literally falling out and hanging by their wires, and buzzy speakers. The window/mirror switches unit in the driver's door was also replaced. And a seal on the oil return for the turbo. Currently it's running trouble free, just about to go off warranty, and that's been the case for many months. Still very solid, substantial feeling; no squeaks, rattles or looseness. Through careful driving, my wife has the "average mpg" (on the "message center") up to 24.6 MPG on her daily 34 mile commute, about half freeway and half surface streets. Knowing what I do now, would I buy it if I had it to do over? Probably. My wife loves the car. And it's never left us stranded.

FWIW, Consumer Reports rates the S60 a "Recommended" buy.

Reply to
Hal Whelply

It was the 5 speed manual. I personally found the gearbox quite 'clunky' and it didn't have a very smooth feel. I was getting 28mpg with quite a heavy right foot and some town driving. Cruising on the motorway I would get 34mpg or so.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Tavener